IGNORED

5.56 ammo shortage

tcook8296

With all the craziness going on in Ukraine, Israel, China threatening Taiwan, along with all the normal craziness in the Middle East, it is no wonder NATO rounds are in short supply. Think of how much ammo is being churned out just for all our allies' militaries right now that the US is (and going to be) gifting to them (not to mention for the U.S. itself).

I assume availability of .223 is going to be affected since I'm thinking all the manufacturers are churning out 5.56s instead. But that's just a guess.

Yes prices have jumped in the last two weeks. The conflict in Israel is only just the start of the rapid change. It’s a multi layered problem. Most of what is brought on by the never ending conflict in Ukraine. European ammo manufacturers have low inventory so no extra ammo getting imported to the US.  US military stock is also low and Lake City no longer has overrun to sell to the civilian market. 25-30% of production from Lake City was going to the retail market. So there is a big chunk of supply not currently available. And I’m sure this will cause panic buying all over again. Luckily other ammo should not be to affected just 556. Heading to Oaks gun show tomorrow and really curious to see what the vibe is. 

Lake City ammunition plant in Missouri owned by the U.S. Government on lease to Winchester. civilian orders are cancelled due to the needs of Israel and Ukraine.

Edited by hostak126

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

Nice to have a good stockpile for each caliber you own. If you want to shoot then you don’t need to worry about these shortages. Panic buying I don’t truly understand unless you shoot a lot. Realistically nothing is actually going to happen here that would have the general public running through the streets with their ar’s. Or will it? 5.56 and 9mm are typically the hardest to come by as well as 45 when things get this way.