IGNORED

Trout Stocking Survey – Part 2

spring-trout-stocking-truck-1024x683.jpg

New Jersey DEP Fish and Wildlife is conducting a series of short online surveys to obtain angler feedback concerning our Trout Stocking Program throughout the state. In particular, the opinions of anglers who fish on trout-stocked waterbodies during the stocking season is sought. The information collected will be used to inform future stocking, management, and regulation decisions. Part 2 of the trout stocking survey is now available. We ask that you take the time to continue with your input. In case you did not get the chance to take Part 1 of the survey, it is also available below.

Trout Stocking Survey – Part 2

Trout Stocking Survey – Part 1

View the full article

Done. Judging by the questions it seems that they are possibly considering the catch and release season prior to opening day.  I’m sure there’s a very divided line on that opinion lol.  I personally don’t like it.  I bet you lose a good amount of fish to gut hooked, stressed out and guys keeping them.  One question even mentioned being allowed to keep a gut hooked fish. How do you prove that or just let the fish swallow it before setting the hook.  

20 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I like the CR period . It spreads out the fish and the fisherman .

it should be ARTIFICIAL  only to stop chances of gut hooked fish .

If it becomes a regular thing I did select the option of artificial only.  Never had a trout swallow a rooster tail. Not saying it can’t happen but I’ve had numerous swallow hooks

I would say about 50 percent of trout I catch on bait are gut hooked or too deep to remove safely. I never went for C+R. My buddy said he caught and released almost 100 fish one day. There had to be lots of fish died later on. 

If catching them on lures is safe, I would agree with that. 

8 minutes ago, fab said:

Connecticut started a catch and release season.   You can use bait but must use barbless hooks.  

i just did a survey for them last week looking for feedback as well 

Does a barbless hook matter if deeply hooked? 

Done.

This is comment I put in:

"While I do support the catch & release instead of a pre-season closure, I feel there needs to be a strong effort to mitigate illegal harvesting such as increased signage, enforcement,and a statement placed on licenses. I live 5 minutes from a stocked lake and every year I see people fishing during the closure that tell me they didn't realize the lake was closed to fishing or trout were out of season. In some years I've seen maybe 2-3 signs at most around the lake stating the trout info and regs."

TBH if the state would give me extra signs I'd be happy to post them around the lake. Not trying to be some kind of fishing Karen, but most years during the pre-season closure I can find 10-20 people fishing on a Saturday or Sunday, especially if it's a mild spring. The overwhelming majority I've talked with have told me they didn't realize the lake was closed due to being stocked or didn't know there was a specific trout season. Part of this I blame on the lake having only 2-3 signs posting it as stocked. I'll admit that years with more signs conspicuously posted seem to have fewer fishing the closure. 

Almost all have thanked me for informing them before they get a citation from a CO.

Even with a C&R pre-season the state still needs to make sure people are aware it's only C&R, otherwise people will be out there loading up late March thinking they're having the best luck ever.

12 hours ago, bucky said:

Stock less trout but better quality(12" to 20"), I would rather catch a couple decent fish than thirty 10 inch cookie cutters

I agree.  Felt this past season they were barely 10 inch fish where I fished although I only got out a few times. Hopefully some positive improvements come out of the surveys. 

On 7/21/2023 at 12:09 PM, mike033089 said:

Done. Judging by the questions it seems that they are possibly considering the catch and release season prior to opening day.  I’m sure there’s a very divided line on that opinion lol.  I personally don’t like it.  I bet you lose a good amount of fish to gut hooked, stressed out and guys keeping them.  One question even mentioned being allowed to keep a gut hooked fish. How do you prove that or just let the fish swallow it before setting the hook.  

My biggest issue with it is the stocked lakes I fish if 20 fish die that's 10-20% of total stocked trout!!! Survey done but I'd vote no for c&r. Humans are just too untrustworthy.