IGNORED

New E Bike

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

4 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Nice ride Mark! Does anyone make racks to put your bow, gun, and gear on?

Yeah, you can get front or back racks made by the  bike manufacture, Aventon.  The bike came with front and rear fenders I just haven’t put them on.  

3 minutes ago, gobblergetter said:

Question...

Is it legal to carry an uncased shotgun and sling , on your back while riding an e-bike on a public road?

In my "I'm not a lawyer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night" opinion, if you have your FID card on you, yes it is legal. Without FID, I would question the legality of that.

Here's why I say with FID, legal, without FID, illegal:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2022/title-2c/section-2c-39-6/

g. Any weapon being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Just follow the references. Subsection f (found just above that paragraph I quote) includes this: "Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in the person's possession a valid hunting or fishing license;"

... and you are under that paragraph (f) IFF you do not have an FID  in which case you need that exemption in paragraph (g) to travel with a firearm (and thus it needs to be cased, as per (g)).

With a FID, you don't need the exemption, you just need to have it unloaded (see 2C:39-5 : https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2022/title-2c/section-2c-39-5/).

It is a web of legalese in NJ. But this is why I always carry my  FID with me, even if I have my hunting license and I'm going to or from the hunting grounds or to/from shooting range. Because you never know if I have to stop for gas, go make a pee stop somewhere, need to go to the grocery store for milk and eggs on the way, or whatever (i.e. a "deviation not reasonably necessary").

18 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

In my "I'm not a lawyer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night" opinion, if you have your FID card on you, yes it is legal. Without FID, I would question the legality of that.

I’m not a lawyer and I slept home last night but IMO FID card is only used for purchase and transfer of guns. It means nothing a field. It does not even show the gun on you to be yours or legal 

28 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

IMO FID card is only used for purchase and transfer of guns. It means nothing a field.

That's incorrect based on the statutes I just posted. The FID is not just for purchase, in fact, when you read 2C:39-5, it explicitly talks about possession, not purchase (the purchase part is 2C:58 IIRC):

"2C:39-5 c. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree."

Read the statutes I linked - you have to read it carefully and follow the chain. FID is for possession as well as for purchase. 2C:39-6 are the EXEMPTIONS that allow you to possess a long gun WITHOUT having an FID (the very title of that section is "Exemptions")... but those exemptions are very specific (e.g. 2 exemptions are going to/from range, going to/from hunting - in those cases, you don't need a FID).

And just read what it says on your FID card - says right on it for purchase "and carry":

image.png.ad31e6939d29c4308e67fb8696bbb0d2.png

Edited by mazzgolf