IGNORED

Bear hunt should be a go...

nmc02

I'm 100% sure there will be a lawsuit filed by our state's animal rights radicals. Let's just hope the judges in this state don't fall for the delaying tactics - guaranteed the lawsuit will be filed just days before the start of the season, timed perfectly to try to force a delay so the season dates pass before the lawsuit can get tossed.

Wait, what? What is this?

The number of category I bear complaints dropped by more than 50% the first half of this year compared to last year, 2022-2023 ?  ...

Compare that with last year's first-half-of-year numbers (which saw the number of category I bear complaints increase by more than 200% from the prior year, 2021 to 2022) ...

... and this large drop just happened to have occurred after the first bear hunt in years was held?

I'm SHOCKED!

Among the monthly reports given to the council is one on black bear complaints received by the state. For the monthly period ending June 21, DEP received 261 black bear complaints, compared to 359 calls for the same period in 2022, or a 27.8% decrease.

The most serious complaints, known as Category I, dropped from 69 in 2022 to 34 this year, a 50.7 decrease. Category II calls dropped 19.8 percent (368 t0 266) and Category III went from 384 to 266, a 30.7 reduction.

3 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

I hate that they are taking away baiting for bears. Really wanted it for the archery season, not as much for gun season. I will probably grab a permit but not pursue bears. With archery gear I much rather hunt over bait. 

Technically, they aren't taking away baiting per se... you just have to be 300 feet away from the bait site (unlike in PA which, IIRC, there can't be ANY bait anywhere).

So you could bait and try to ambush them on the way to the bait site.

Yeah, sucks, especially for bow, but... it is what it is. Kinda stupid when you consider the whole point of the hunt is to manage the bears (hey animal rights radicals reading this thread... it isn't a trophy hunt!!). But if it makes the regular non-hunting public feel better about the hunt, so be it. It isn't like other states don't do the same thing anyway.

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

Technically, they aren't taking away baiting per se... you just have to be 300 feet away from the bait site (unlike in PA which, IIRC, there can't be ANY bait anywhere).

So you could bait and try to ambush them on the way to the bait site.

Yeah, sucks, especially for bow, but... it is what it is. Kinda stupid when you consider the whole point of the hunt is to manage the bears (hey animal rights radicals reading this thread... it isn't a trophy hunt!!). But if it makes the regular non-hunting public feel better about the hunt, so be it. It isn't like other states don't do the same thing anyway.

Yes. I shoulda specified. I hate that they took the option to hunt OVER bait away. I have one or two spots that are valleys I can set up on. Other than that I am not wasting all the time, money, and effort on it. 

Agree that you should be allowed to hunt over bait. If the goal is to reduce numbers then you want an animal to show up and provide the best shot possible.   An animal over bait would be relaxed and provide many opportunities to get the right shot in.  Instead of plugging a bear 100 yards out with a slug on its way to bait.  So the more ethical, humane thing would be pushing for baiting. But again, you’re not dealing with rational people.  

3 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

Yes. I shoulda specified. I hate that they took the option to hunt OVER bait away. I have one or two spots that are valleys I can set up on. Other than that I am not wasting all the time, money, and effort on it. 

Article has the following quote from Conservation Officers.... When asked, a conservation officer in attendance, said law enforcement officers are experienced enough to know the difference and "there's also something called 'officer discretion.' "

That tells me they will not enforce

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

Article has the following quote from Conservation Officers.... When asked, a conservation officer in attendance, said law enforcement officers are experienced enough to know the difference and "there's also something called 'officer discretion.' "

I seriously doubt they will investigate how a bear was killed.  Only if given no choice like on public land one guy rats another guy out…. Just kill them all too damn many. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

39 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I seriously doubt they will investigate how a bear was killed.  Only if given no choice like on public land one guy rats another guy out…. Just kill them all too damn many. 

😆 🤣 til the CO u haven't seen ever in that area catches u dragging that big boi out of the woods!!!! 

2 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I saw that, but I’ll follow the law, enforced or not. 

Ideally they would treat bears like coyotes.  When deer season is open bear season is open for whatever weapon the season is.  Also increase bear tags.  Those that want more than one bear should be allowed to take more.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….