IGNORED

fluke in Surf

koz

13 minutes ago, koz said:

I have been chasing these dam fish for the past few days... I got it figured out and finally was able to get some action. I found these fish like 6 inch white Gulp jerk shad with jighead. I just have to wait until low tide. 

It was frustrating but so satisfying to get it figured out. 

Tight lines Koz

Congrats, but just curious why low tide:hmmmer:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Congrats, but just curious why low tide:hmmmer:

I found out I get more strikes as the bait glides to the bottom.  I can use lighter weight jig head and still get into the in the strike zone. I find the sand bars and deeper water easier.  

Edited by koz

15 minutes ago, koz said:

I found out I get more strikes as the bait glides to the bottom.  I can use lighter weight jig head and still get into the in the strike zone. I find the sand bars and deeper water easier.  

We have been doing much better around low tide as well. Can work the jetties/ holes much more effectively without the high rough water. 

Interesting tidbit. 

Back when you could go snorkeling around the jetties without the cops pulling you out and giving you a ticket I would go spearfishing for fluke.

Fluke of the same size gather together. In one depression there would be 4, 5 or more smaller fish, all the same size, a few yards away in another depression they would be a couple of big fluke, all the same size.

If you catch a big fluke from a boat, have a marker ready to toss over, or hit the button on your fishfinder. Go back and work that spot over a few times.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

On 7/9/2023 at 4:38 PM, Mallard1100 said:

We have been doing much better around low tide as well. Can work the jetties/ holes much more effectively without the high rough water. 

More whitewater at the lower end of the tide. 

Rolling whitewater discombobulates the baitfish, they have trouble swimming in it, makes it easier for fluke and bass, who have no problem swimming in it, to catch em.

When the water is high the wash effect doesn't reach all the way down, that's why we dive under the waves when swimming in the surf. The baitfish near the bottom are still hard for the predator's to catch.

What always surprises me is how the predators manage to see the bait in the churning Whitewater, especially at night

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

2 minutes ago, Sudsy said:

Interesting tidbit. 

Back when you could go snorkeling around the jetties without the cops pulling you out and giving you a ticket I would go spearfishing for fluke.

Fluke of the same size gather together. In one depression there would be 4, 5 or more smaller fish, all the same size, a few yards away in another depression they would be a couple of big fluke, all the same size.

If you catch a big fluke from a boat, have a marker ready to toss over, or hit the button on your fishfinder. Go back and work that spot over a few times.

Snorkeling is a great way to figure out the patterns. I can't say I've ever tried in the salt around NJ Shore jetties, but I used to do it all the time in lakes in the upper Midwest to confirm bass, pike and walleye lurking spots. 

23 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

Snorkeling is a great way to figure out the patterns. I can't say I've ever tried in the salt around NJ Shore jetties, but I used to do it all the time in lakes in the upper Midwest to confirm bass, pike and walleye lurking spots. 

If I'm sborkling finding fish in salt I'm bringing a spear gun or gig

I fished on ibsp from 6:30 to 1 today. Started in the inlet. Lot of grass hard to fish. Shell e claris was in the pocket fished with him for a little while, nothing was happening. Worked north stopping at all the cuts leapfroging with shell. I had 4 hits all morning, landing one 15" fluke. 1/2 oz spro bucktail with a 4' gulp. And one cow nose ray hit the bucktail. My buddy had one swing and miss. Kinda slow in my opinion for July surf flukein 

15 minutes ago, Codaboy said:

I fished on ibsp from 6:30 to 1 today. Started in the inlet. Lot of grass hard to fish. Shell e claris was in the pocket fished with him for a little while, nothing was happening. Worked north stopping at all the cuts leapfroging with shell. I had 4 hits all morning, landing one 15" fluke. 1/2 oz spro bucktail with a 4' gulp. And one cow nose ray hit the bucktail. My buddy had one swing and miss. Kinda slow in my opinion for July surf flukein 

Try doing the same areas with just a 1/4 ounce bucktail next time .

and instead of a top eye , use a front tie 

(pure fishing sells bucktails with both a front eye , and a top eye ) 

a slower fall will get twice the hits 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/