IGNORED

*Updated 6/14* Cervical Total Disk Replacement

I had neck surgery after dealing with pain, numbness and weakness on the left side for 2 years, I kick myself for not going sooner, I woke up pain free and was in the gym lifting (light weights) in a week.  But I also heard of folks having real recovery issues.  My advice is to do you homework on the surgeon.  Best of luck to you. 

1 minute ago, Gman said:

I had neck surgery after dealing with pain, numbness and weakness on the left side for 2 years, I kick myself for not going sooner, I woke up pain free and was in the gym lifting (light weights) in a week.  But I also heard of folks having real recovery issues.  My advice is to do you homework on the surgeon.  Best of luck to you. 

How long ago did you get it done? Did you have fusion?

Thanks

Good luck with your surgery. I’ve had surgery on two herniated discs. My experience wasn’t good.  I have nerve damage. My legs burn if I stand too long. I can’t do anything I used to do. No running, no golf , no weight lifting. Your issues I’m praying could be different. It’s been almost 8 yrs since my surgery. I just got an mri. The discs I had surgery on are bulging again. I have two more herniated discs. Major stenosis. Talked  to a few different surgeons. One wants me to have a few surgeries. Problem is with my issues is there is no promises. I’ve been living in hell since my first surgery so I’m not sure what to do. I’m 49 and can’t run or workout with my 17 yr old son. I pray for the best for you.

5 hours ago, Recurve hntr said:

Good luck with your surgery. I’ve had surgery on two herniated discs. My experience wasn’t good.  I have nerve damage. My legs burn if I stand too long. I can’t do anything I used to do. No running, no golf , no weight lifting. Your issues I’m praying could be different. It’s been almost 8 yrs since my surgery. I just got an mri. The discs I had surgery on are bulging again. I have two more herniated discs. Major stenosis. Talked  to a few different surgeons. One wants me to have a few surgeries. Problem is with my issues is there is no promises. I’ve been living in hell since my first surgery so I’m not sure what to do. I’m 49 and can’t run or workout with my 17 yr old son. I pray for the best for you.

Sorry to hear guy. pain sucks try walking as much as can . sitting for long periods is bad for back and legs. The best of luck to you.

All the other stuff just prolongs going in for surgery.  Your on the right foot looking for the best surgeon.  Recovery is going to be what it is, some will take longer than others.  Don't make anything a priority over your recovery time.  You're going to feel a lot better once you get it over with.  Don't be worried about what complications it may create later.  We only hear horror stories of the few that had problems, not from those that benefited greatly.  Good luck to you and best wishes for a better life afterwards.

First if discs are ruptured replacement surgery is the only repair. Herniated you might just need it trimmed to get off nerve a Diskectomy. Mine was ruptured and I had surgery more than 30 years ago on c 6 . They replaced the disc with a piece of bone out of my hip and titanium plate and 4 screws. I am sure they are more advanced now. It did work and relieved pressure on nerves. Mine took 3 months to heal and 6 months or more to totally get full relief. No limitations and I tested it many times.  I know a few people who have had it done Now and it was a piece of cake. Make sure you use a top surgeon. I need it done again with new plate and few more discs replaced but holding out because of my age. You can PM me and I will give more details . Tri county orthopedics in Morristown is who I would use now, all top surgeons and excellent rehab. 

Good luck with your decision and surgery if you go that way. 

7 hours ago, Recurve hntr said:

I’m 49 and can’t run or workout with my 17 yr old son.

So sorry you are dealing with this.  Hopefully your outcome changes soon.  As it stands now, I can't do crap with my daughter too, so in my eyes the surgery can only help (fingers crossed).  I appreciate the well wishes and your story! 

46 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

We only hear horror stories of the few that had problems, not from those that benefited greatly.

So true in life, not just surgeries but most things.  I am going to do it, I have no options; once I find the right surgeon my confidence will be up.  If I do nothing then I will definitely continue to be in pain, so at least with surgery I have a great chance at a great outcome.  It is just a matter now of squaring away work priorities, childcare, and I guess I'll need someone to mow the lawn for about 6 weeks (that chore I won't immediately miss, haha).  So once I get the surgeon and plan, and some support in play I am going for it.  I do plan to move fast, say by the first week of July if possible; might put me in a tree by this October.  Thanks for the well wishes!