IGNORED

AT THE PHEASANT FARM/Ready To Stock

Thanks for posting. Another lost tradition in NJ. Not sure if raising stamp prices would have helped keep Rockport open, but it may have made a difference. Those entitled individuals that think stamp prices are to high, yet shoot way more than the average hunter are always the ones to complain. At one time there was a season limit of 40 birds in NJ !

3 hours ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Thanks for posting. Another lost tradition in NJ. Not sure if raising stamp prices would have helped keep Rockport open, but it may have made a difference. Those entitled individuals that think stamp prices are to high, yet shoot way more than the average hunter are always the ones to complain. At one time there was a season limit of 40 birds in NJ !

in my 66 years of hunting never shot 40 birds in a season. either on public or private and we did raise and stock birds on our private land in Great Meadows Independence Roa An Gun

19 hours ago, ithaca10 said:

in my 66 years of hunting never shot 40 birds in a season. either on public or private and we did raise and stock birds on our private land in Great Meadows Independence Roa An Gun

Since most of my pheasant hunting was on wild birds in Somerset, Hunterdon, Mercer counties, hunting on any unposted land we could find, I never even came close to that number. Only hunted on state stocked land a few times, but things were very different during the week back then. It's a whole different game now. You can see the same guys with their dogs hammering these grounds all week long. For many it's getting their moneys worth. For me , hunting meant walking the thickets of Morris and Warren chasing the beautiful Grouse, so glad I have another memory of the really good days.

Nice video NJ does a good job with the stocking program !

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

There were a lot of places in NJ to hunt wild pheasant and quail all over the state when I was a kid but not today, the state stocking of WMA is a great way to give todays youth a small taste of what we enjoyed as kids. Thanks NJ for a job well done.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 hours ago, bushden said:

There were a lot of places in NJ to hunt wild pheasant and quail all over the state when I was a kid but not today, the state stocking of WMA is a great way to give todays youth a small taste of what we enjoyed as kids. Thanks NJ for a job well done.

Sad those days are long gone, as a kid i would get home from school, grab my single shot and beagle, head out the back door and start hunting, plenty of rabbits and pheasant (Bergen County)

46 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Sad those days are long gone, as a kid i would get home from school, grab my single shot and beagle, head out the back door and start hunting, plenty of rabbits and pheasant (Bergen County)

Same with me JD. I use to walk a short distance from my house and had plenty of rabbits, ducks and wild pheasants. That was in Hamilton Twp in the 1960s just a couple miles from the Trenton city border. The pheasants are long gone but great memories.

25805087-D498-48E2-96A0-AF5A4CB915C7.jpeg

28 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Same with me JD. I use to walk a short distance from my house and had plenty of rabbits, ducks and wild pheasants. That was in Hamilton Twp in the 1960s just a couple miles from the Trenton city border. The pheasants are long gone but great memories.

25805087-D498-48E2-96A0-AF5A4CB915C7.jpeg

Great picture, was that a J.C. Higgins hunting jacket?

18 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Great picture, was that a J.C. Higgins hunting jacket?

That picture was from my first day hunting in November 1966 at the age of 14. It was also my dog’s first day hunting. He was only 6 months old. I don’t remember the make of that jacket. It was a hand me down from an older cousin and I continued to use it for several years.