IGNORED

AT THE PHEASANT FARM/Ready To Stock

One of my neighbors had a Beagle - Chow mix, one of the best hunting dogs ever. It would run rabbits like a Beagle, run squirrels around a tree, and run pheasants with a different bark.  It was always loose and if we walked by the house with guns while his owner was a work, he would come hunt with us for the day. 

1 hour ago, JD48 said:

Moonachie

Hunted the Kearny Meadows for pheasant and rabbits 55 years ago plus. Killed cockbirds by the Kearny pool that had tails three feet long. Also the best duck hunting in the state of NJ killing birds within the skyline of NYC until ducks unlimited did a show on the place and every tom dick and harry started to hunt it.

29 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

Hunted the Kearny Meadows for pheasant and rabbits 55 years ago plus. Killed cockbirds by the Kearny pool that had tails three feet long. Also the best duck hunting in the state of NJ killing birds within the skyline of NYC until ducks unlimited did a show on the place and every tom dick and harry started to hunt it.

Yeah, ton of game years ago at the Meadowlands, pheasant, rabbit, ducks, trapped a lot of muskrats, had 2 places that were loaded with woodcock each year, never shot a goose, hardly ever saw them back then, never saw any quail, and your right, the Cock birds were huge

Now that I sat and think about it, it's really sad that todays hunters will never experience what Jersey was like a mere  50 years ago. Sure, now we have a growing number of Bobcats and even Fishers, and now an over abundance of Black Bears that we didn't have back then. We also rarely saw the now over abundant "Terra Rat Geese" that cover the landscape. But, south of Rt. 1 you could find plenty of Quail, the hills of north Jersey had plenty of beautiful Grouse ,and every field seemed to have there share of pheasants. Not so bad to be old and have these memories.

47 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

Now that I sat and think about it, it's really sad that todays hunters will never experience what Jersey was like a mere  50 years ago. Sure, now we have a growing number of Bobcats and even Fishers, and now an over abundance of Black Bears that we didn't have back then. We also rarely saw the now over abundant "Terra Rat Geese" that cover the landscape. But, south of Rt. 1 you could find plenty of Quail, the hills of north Jersey had plenty of beautiful Grouse ,and every field seemed to have there share of pheasants. Not so bad to be old and have these memories.

Yeah and we also have turkey we didn’t have then, but I still would rather have the great number of pheasant, quail and grouse we had when I first started hunting in the 1960s

21 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Yeah and we also have turkey we didn’t have then, but I still would rather have the great number of pheasant, quail and grouse we had when I first started hunting in the 1960s

Agree, seemed like everyone hunted (but nobody in my family) and always plenty of game

9 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Agree, seemed like everyone hunted (but nobody in my family) and always plenty of game

Same boat, went with friends but didn't carry a gun as no one in family was into hunting or fishing. Bought first gun in '65 when I turned 18 and got first Brittany the next year. Forgot about Turkeys, wish we had them, never hunted them and wouldn't trade for what we did have.