IGNORED

Pittman-Robertson

I haven’t seen anyone mention this on here, it’s getting a lot of steam on social media but there’s a group of folks led by Rep Andrew Clyde (R - Georgia) are making an attempt in the house to repeal the Pittman-Robertson act.. Although I thought I shared similar ideals as people like this on topics, this I do not.  I’m not one to want to pay extra taxes for anything however when it comes to this I feel differently. This funding is essential to most of the activities I/we enjoy. I’m more then comfortable/happy to pay my way so that there are open spaces, science, shooting ranges, habitat, etc around for me and others even the mountain bikers to enjoy. Please reach out to this fellar and his colleagues.  They are trying to push this thru using the Supreme Court ruling on 2A as mode of transportation on this.  If this goes away how are things going to get allocated to those things?  Certainly Murphy isn’t going to allocate the funds if he has a say

I seen it.  To abolish it would be stupid as sports man would loose its bennifits.   While yes technically it is a tax itvwas created by sportsman for sportsman.  The pitman Robertson act is what has funded some of the new wma ranges it funds habitat projects .  It was created so we as outdoorsman somewhat self sustained .

People bitch about a 10 dollar saltwater lisence but have no clue what we here in nj are missing out on from the funds

Edited by vdep217

We have paid millions of dollars in that tax .

many states have done very well using those funds .

sadly NJ doesn’t care about it because it’s ear marked for sportsman , and they don’t chase it at all .

‘We only get a small portion of what’s paid towards hunting and freshwater fishing numbers .

Even a 2$ license would allow NJ to reap its rewards for all those fishing in the salt .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

14 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

factoid from that article that is pretty interesting:

One implication of this fact is that while the number of hunters in the U.S. has been on the decline both in absolute and relative numbers for decades, Pittman-Robertson Act revenues have generally increased over the years, with some notable year-to-year fluctuations. They tend to spike after a mass shooting or presidential election when fears rise about restrictions on gun ownership. Through their purchase of guns and ammunition, nonhunters are already making a substantial contribution to state wildlife agency budgets.

Who over sees the act? Do we have clear concise reports of spending? Is money just sent to the states and then they spend how they want?

Is there any accountability for the spending?

I guess what I am asking is would this be best continued at the federal level or something closer to home? A lot of times the feds abuse money....

AND if the feds just cut portions to the states who decides how it gets used?

Are Pittman funds being used to what is happening in the Water Gap?

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

46 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Who over sees the act? Do we have clear concise reports of spending? Is money just sent to the states and then they spend how they want?

I guess what I am asking is would this be best continued at the federal level or something closer to home? A lot of times the feds abuse money....

Feds actually do a good job of making sure the money is ear marked for hunting and fishing resources .

‘Nj doesn’t chase it because they don’t want to put effort into getting money that can misdirect .

One trip to Florida shows how great getting your portion of the excise tax can reap great rewards .

FREE  boat ramps , cleaning stations etc .all through distribution of excise tax coming back .

We have been paying it for  our lifetimes already , the protections it offers is worth more than the price if the tax , most guys never even knew existed .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, thefirstndsecond said:

I attached a few screenshots I took from some articles… I don’t know about the gap..1E03A9B4-D7D9-4B24-93EB-11473BD24077.jpeg.9b3b6f7e2da442c93e67bc94ee044fae.jpegFA7B5651-3DB7-4D38-BA51-BDC1D360C4DD.jpeg.4d8d790b8ef51d432961b828dc05443f.jpeg