IGNORED

Spinal Fusion?

Timo

Anybody ever have one? I had a discectomy about 7 years ago On my L4/L5 and was good for a few years. Been getting injections about yearly and recently every 6 months since. Have Moderate/severe Stenosis above that and was just told I need a Fusion on L5/S1 today. The Dr said it was minimally invasive and I wouldn’t experience the horror stories I’ve heard from others because it’s a newer procedure. Would like to hear some real life experiences if possible. Here’s the procedure I would be getting.

I had a discectomy back when I was 27, I am now 54. It requires you stretch every day and exercise  to keep you pain free. Most of the replies have been neck related as opposed to your situation, lumbar. It all depends on age and disc location when it comes fusion. In the lumbar fusion will transfer the stress to the vert/disc above snd below creating further issues as time goes on. If you’re young I may not lead myself in that direction. Just my opinion but I have lived with this for many years

AWM

I had a double discectomy 8 yrs ago. My back was bad working the job I had. Woke up one morning and fell on the floor. I layed there for three hours and eventually I told my wife to call an ambulance. Worse pain of my life. Workmans comp doc said after the surgery you be 100%. So here I I’m had to quit my job of 25 yrs and sell my bait and tackle shop. Can’t sit long, if I stand to long my left leg feels like it’s on fire. Sleep like crap. I’m 48 and I get around worse than a 65 yr old. Wish I never had the surgery. I use to do mud runs with my wife and go to the gym every day. I will not let anyone touch my back again. There is no guarantee. My life has changed drastically.

I had C4/C5 ACDF. Other than getting more stiff necks it’s been pretty successful. Took a while to get back to myself and build strength back but I’m 6 yrs in and no real issues. Can’t really speak to lower back issues but good luck whatever you choose. 

2B57CB52-EB64-4C17-AACC-58E76E184D67.thumb.jpeg.23752e1109316b0386ecf5f0ca8cbc55.jpeg

Yea looks very similar just a different load bearing on the area. Good to hear. Thanks!

I had a discectomy back when I was 27, I am now 54. It requires you stretch every day and exercise  to keep you pain free. Most of the replies have been neck related as opposed to your situation, lumbar. It all depends on age and disc location when it comes fusion. In the lumbar fusion will transfer the stress to the vert/disc above snd below creating further issues as time goes on. If you’re young I may not lead myself in that direction. Just my opinion but I have lived with this for many years

Yea I’ve been living with it but it gets worse and worse. Therapy/injections don’t seem to give me any relief anymore. It’s a tough decision

I had a double discectomy 8 yrs ago. My back was bad working the job I had. Woke up one morning and fell on the floor. I layed there for three hours and eventually I told my wife to call an ambulance. Worse pain of my life. Workmans comp doc said after the surgery you be 100%. So here I I’m had to quit my job of 25 yrs and sell my bait and tackle shop. Can’t sit long, if I stand to long my left leg feels like it’s on fire. Sleep like crap. I’m 48 and I get around worse than a 65 yr old. Wish I never had the surgery. I use to do mud runs with my wife and go to the gym every day. I will not let anyone touch my back again. There is no guarantee. My life has changed drastically.

Discectomy leaves you pretty unstable especially double. Never been told you need a fusion? I know the surgery has changed in the last couple years. Not as invasive

My father had lumbar fusion with a “cage brace” (hope I’m explaining correctly) about 7-8 years ago. Prior to having the procedure we he went through all the injections, etc with limited success and it would take him literally an hour to muster up enough strength and courage to get out of bed each day. He to this day is still amazed at how it was the best thing he ever did and how he had absolutely no back pain from the minute he woke up from surgery…only slight pain at the incision. He said he would surely be in a wheelchair now if not for the surgery.   He went to st Lukes and his doctor was dr sokunbi.  A super helpful dr that explained everything and is amazing at doing this procedure in particular. I met him two times in taking my dad to appointments.  Highly recommended. 

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"