IGNORED

20 ga buckshot expectations.

Shakyjake

33 minutes ago, Shakyjake said:

Who shoots 20 ga buckshot? I know you can’t compare to 3.5” 00 buck but I’ve always wanted to try some. I’ve heard that #4 buck patterns well for 20 ga. How far you guys shoot? Extra full chokes? Just trying to get some input to try some combos. 

I met a guy many moons ago dragging a deer out, shotgun on his shoulder I notice it's kind of small hey that looks small, he said it's a 20 gauge. It's a alot lighter to carry than a 12 gauge and the deer didn't know that size matters!

https://brackishwaterculture-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/brackishwaterculture.com/2018/12/07/20-gauge-chokes-the-greatest-20-ga-buckshot-test-in-the-world-

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

For what it's worth, when I did deer hunt I used a 20 ga Franchi O/U, no scope, with slugs. Hunted thicker woods so I had to pick a clear opening for a shot.    Back then, 25 or more years ago, when my eyes were good every one I shot was in the neck and they dropped in their tracks and no meat was damaged. Also, don't think any shot was more than 30 to 40 yards.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

I patterned my browning o/u.   26 inch improved/ modified 20 for my daughter 

We used federal 3 inch 2s. we used federal 2 2/4 3s and Remington 3 in 3s.    I wanted to try rio but couldn’t find any local.  This was 3 summers of so ammo was accessible 

If you limit 40 yards  there should be sufficient energy in twos and threes   But you need a gun that patterns.  I was shooting at 30 x 48“ pieces of cardboard   I couldn’t even get all the pellets on the paper at 35 yards

To get 3/4 of the pellet count in an 18 in circle I was 15 yards with the twos and 20 with the threes.  And the two and three-quarter inch shot better

so I figured I have a 20 yard gun for her.   I ended up borrowing my friends H&R 20 gauge single slug gun for her.  

I did a lot of research online as well. guys find guns that shoot them well unfortunately mine did not.  

my fathers 12 gauge 30 inch full puts nine out of nine 00 in a 15 inch circle at 35 yards

my Mossberg put eight out of nine on a 30“ x 48“ paper at 35.  Go figure 

I agree about changing things up 

last year I was on a mission to get a deer with an old t/c 50 cal Hawken  using 2f black powder with patch n ball.  

2 years ago was my fathers 1958 Ben Pearson take down semi recurve with a cedar shaft tipped with Hilbre  Broadhead from the ground 

this year I’m looking to get a buck with my grandfathers old 12 ga Winchester pump Loaded with 0 buck  

pattern the 20  know it’s limits and work within them   It’s suppose to be fun   

My personal opinion is that I'm going to use whatever I have available & is legal in that season that that is most likely to result in quick clean kills & would always opt 12 ga over 20 if shooting buckshot.  As long as it's legal & you know the limits of your weapon & hunt accordingly, wouldnt criticize anyone for doing otherwise.

8 hours ago, bucky said:

Even if it patterns well beyond 30 yards, you will have to worry about penetration issues

Years ago, before I even owned a 20 ga, I was told that they were only good out to about 20 yards. That’s one reason why I stuck with 12 ga. That, and 20 ga weren’t legal with buckshot when I started hunting.