IGNORED

High Mileage Car Maintenance Opinions

archer36

Routine. My 11 Sierra is at 222K. Aside from normal maintenance with the needed longer term stuff, engine and transmission has (knock on wood) behaved so long as I’ve taken care of that. The body…not so much. Biggest expensive I’ve had aside from wheel hub assemblies, routine brakes, has been ball joints and two CV axles. Accidents all not my fault don’t count :) 

I have had two Suburbans both 4 wheel drive. The first one was a 1991 bought new. I had it for 14 years and 210,000 miles. Still had it when I bought my 2002 one new. Never changed the trans fluid on the 1991 but did coolant at required intervals. Sold it in 2005 and got $1500 for it. The 2002 one has 175,000 miles on it and still runs fine. Changed trans fluid at 100,000 and coolant as required. Changed oil every 3000 miles on both vehicles. Only major issue had with the 2002 was rusted out brake lines that apparently was a common problem with some Chevy vehicles of those years.

6 hours ago, archer36 said:

My question is, once a vehicle reaches this high mileage, it usually calls for major fluid changes (like transmission, drive train, coolant, etc) I have heard people say don't mess with it if it's driving good and others say to do the preventive maintenance.

Opinions?

Have you researched how many quarts you can get out by draining? 

If you can only get 4 or 6 out and it takes something like 12 total.  I would do a drain & fill and drive for a few months.  Repeat a few times.  Then maybe next year, do a flush using the trans line.

Chevy fluid should be cheap enough to make it worthwhile.  My car costs $45/ quart! :shakehead:

Also, no fluid is lifetime.  Change those diffs while you are on the ground.

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

Did you have any issues with the transfer case or switch?  Our 2005 Durango 5.7, just started shifting into 4 hi, and 4 lo, by itself and was also stuck in 4 hi for a while. Service 4wd light comes on now and then.  I got it back into AWD and then pulled the electrical connector to the transfer case, which will keep it in AWD.   That's all we need.

Nope only issue ever with the truck was everything started to rust really bad .

fenders , brakes ,brake lines  etc 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

18 hours ago, trapoholic said:

One thing is for sure- they don't make them like they use to! Back in the 1970's my father always traded in his 65,000 mile vehicle while they were still worth something. Nowadays, all I buy are 5o- 70,000 miles vehicles that have been maintained properly. I personally think it is a waste of money to buy a new vehicle today. Let someone else lose $20,000 on it! I would rather put that $20,000 in the bank.

I buy new for my wife and take her old car. Either way I try my best to maintain them and usually keep them well into the 200,000 mile range. 

Yes, you should do the manufacturer recommended maintenance.

Unless:

You have magical spark plugs that don't wear and increase their gap over time.

You have magical antifreeze that doesn't turn more acidic over time.

You have magical hydraulic/lubricating fluids that don't thin out or become contaminated over time.

You have magical filters that don't become restricted over time.

If you have any of the above, you're good to go! :up:

Edited by Woodsman416

1 minute ago, Woodsman416 said:

Yes, you should do the manufacturer recommended maintenance.

Unless:

You have magical spark plugs that don't wear and increase their gap over time.

You have magical antifreeze that doesn't turn more acidic over time.

You have magical hydraulic/lubricating fluids that don't thin out or become contaminated over time.

You have magical filters that don't become restricted over time.

If you have any of the above, you're good to go! :up:

Magic Stay Home GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos