IGNORED

High Mileage Car Maintenance Opinions

archer36

So I never owned a vehicle past 90 or so thousand miles. I currently have a 2010 Suburban with 93,000 miles. I love the vehicle and it never gave me major issues. Basically oil changes, batteries, and tires. I decided to keep it a while longer since I drive very little now. Maybe 5,000 miles a year. 

My question is, once a vehicle reaches this high mileage, it usually calls for major fluid changes (like transmission, drive train, coolant, etc) I have heard people say don't mess with it if it's driving good and others say to do the preventive maintenance.

Opinions?

Had 327000 on my last dodge 

did trans at 175000 . 

did gear oils every 100000

changed engine oil every 6000. 

engine and trans in that truck still strong . 
rust beat the rest of it 

100k your not even broke in yet 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have a 2004 Tahoe with 285K on it, at the point where I needed to retire it and got a replacement Tahoe (2019).  That Suburban with 93K on it is like brand new in my eyes haha.  It's not, but it has A LOT of life in it.  Over the history of my Tahoe, the trans went around 215K and I got it rebuilt for $1500 and another 70K out of the truck (trans isn't the current issue).  Beyond that,  normal wear and tear things, no major items other than an exhaust manifold leak (very common on the Tahoes and Suburbans) that I patched myself.

Fluid wise, I did change them (oil, trans, differential, cooling, brakes, etc) at close to the required intervals.  Eventually my front differential went wonky (one of the current issues) and I attempted to have that replaced with a used one from a junkyard but it didn't fix the issue, so either got another bad one or something else is wrong that isn't worth the time/money at this point.  I doubt it boils down to changing the fluid causing it however.  IMO I'd stick with changing all the fluids, others might disagree and have some exceptions.

@Woodsman416 would know for sure :up:

3 minutes ago, Rather Be Hunting said:

Two things it needs done a that mileage is transmission service and timing belt. Timing belt is important because if it goes it usually breaks things inside the motor. Other then that just drive it and fix the wear and tear items. 

Timing Belt. No one mentioned that so far.  I know if it goes, it can cause a lot of issues. 

I've never had an issue with the timing belt on any car breaking.

I follow the service manual that came with the vehicle.  I had a Dodge Dakota that shouldn't have lasted as long as it did (19 years) and a Subaru Forrester for 20 years.  Both of those vehicles followed the manufacturer-recommended maintenance and lasted until the rust caught up with them.  Each one was over 200K miles when we put them to pasture.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Had 327000 on my last dodge 

did trans at 175000 . 

did gear oils every 100000

changed engine oil every 6000. 

engine and trans in that truck still strong . 
rust beat the rest of it 

100k your not even broke in yet 

Did you have any issues with the transfer case or switch?  Our 2005 Durango 5.7, just started shifting into 4 hi, and 4 lo, by itself and was also stuck in 4 hi for a while. Service 4wd light comes on now and then.  I got it back into AWD and then pulled the electrical connector to the transfer case, which will keep it in AWD.   That's all we need.

Just now, Nomad said:

Did you have any issues with the transfer case or switch?  Our 2005 Durango 5.7, just started shifting into 4 hi, and 4 lo, by itself and was also stuck in 4 hi for a while. Service 4wd light comes on now and then.  I got it back into AWD and then pulled the electrical connector to the transfer case, which will keep it in AWD.   That's all we need.

The Durango is based on the Dakota frame.  I didn't realize how many problems I had with that truck until I threw out the paperwork when I traded in the truck (I am a bureaucrat, so paperwork is my strongest skill).  That truck used to eat tie rods every 18 months.  I had the transmission rebuilt twice.  I never had the AWD or "full time 4WD" feature for the truck, just part time, so it was in 2WD most of the time.  Everything was a manual shift, so there wasn't too much electrical going on, which was nice.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I change the oil/filter every 3000 miles, I did the trans fluid,  and antifreeze twice , rotate tires every 6000 miles, air and cabin filter twice per year..getting oil change as I type this 

My commuter car I brought new, 2012 hyundai elantra,  I will donate it by the latest end of the year 

318,440 miles

20210907_155214.jpg

One thing is for sure- they don't make them like they use to! Back in the 1970's my father always traded in his 65,000 mile vehicle while they were still worth something. Nowadays, all I buy are 5o- 70,000 miles vehicles that have been maintained properly. I personally think it is a waste of money to buy a new vehicle today. Let someone else lose $20,000 on it! I would rather put that $20,000 in the bank.