IGNORED

Handheld GPS

Devil Horns

13 minutes ago, Nomad said:

You don’t need a cell signal, it works just as well without one. You just download the map of the area before you go there. Look at off-line maps on the onX app. I use it all the time in Maine with no cell signal, the GPS on your phone works with or without a cell signal.

interesting. i never knew that. 

this is the unit i have. very small and compact. so for example you could set a waypoint at your truck. save it. then set a waypoint at your stand. and use it that way. this is a basic model but it works. i guess you could also set waypoints for rubs, deer trails, etc.. i found it pretty accurate up to about 5 yards.  cant remember the price. its been a few years 

KIMG0196.thumb.JPG.4fecbb5610c48abf7359803f764ee4f7.JPG

20 minutes ago, Kype said:

this is the unit i have. very small and compact. so for example you could set a waypoint at your truck. save it. then set a waypoint at your stand. and use it that way. this is a basic model but it works. i guess you could also set waypoints for rubs, deer trails, etc.. i found it pretty accurate up to about 5 yards.  cant remember the price. its been a few years 

KIMG0196.thumb.JPG.4fecbb5610c48abf7359803f764ee4f7.JPG

Amazing how far we’ve come from that.   Seeing yourself moving and pinpointed on a satellite picture is the game changer, like ONX.  I guess the only thing better would be more updated maps or even a live map, don’t know if that will ever happen.

1 hour ago, Devil Horns said:

Garmin GPSMAP 64sx, Handheld GPS with Altimeter and Compass, Preloaded With TopoActive Maps, Black/Tan https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S31B7V2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_DS76DQSC2RQJRWT0R3FQ?psc=1

I would gladly use my cell phone but it doesn’t work where I hunt. I can load maps for offline use but I would like real time locations. 

I was looking at the model above. 

Great model, tons of features.  Also, Garmin sells maps for their units, and they are not cheap.  They also don't update the maps.  However, they are some of the best off-road maps. Where I hunt in NH there are a lot of logging roads and other limited-use roads.  Most of them are on the Garmin maps.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I use HuntStand - as people are saying, you can download maps for offline use... cell phone GPS works just like one of these handheld Garmin GPS (no need for cell signal - GPS works regardless - you just need to download offline maps). So, I use that now.

That said, I also have the same exact Garmin that @Kype posted. I like that unit a lot and before I had a smartphone, that's all I used. I haven't taken out that Garmin in the field in a couple years.

One thing that is nice about that Garmin is the little knob you use to scroll around. One thing people don't mention with smartphones - you need your fingers to touch the screen to move around and select things.  In the winter with heavy gloves, not going to work. You have to take your gloves off to scroll around on your smartphone. With that garmin, you can work the little knob on the front  with gloves on. You press the knob for "click/select" and push the knob up/down/left/right to move the cursor around -  it works with gloves as well as with bare hands.

So, if I was going out on a trip in a very cold weather climate, I'd probably bring the  Garmin with me. I believe its called an eTrex 20 - this is it: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/518046. They have newer Garmins - but if you care about this glove thing (i.e. you don't want a touchscreen, but want something you can use with gloves on), pay attention to the controls on the newer units. Some have touchscreens, others don't

As said Garmin is the best. I have an oregon 650 and topo maps for pa and Ga. it works great and with lithium batteries it lasts a long time. I strongly urge you to NOT use cell phone based gps. If Im ever lost I want every bit of battery life left to use to phone help. Buy a good gps and a good flashlight and put good batteries in the unit and youll be good. 

I still need a handheld GPS for my work in streams and I use a Garmin 64sx.  But I lean on my phone and apps like HuntStand as much as I can these days.  But when I need to take many waypoints along a river we are restoring and share them with others, the handheld unit is best.     

2 hours ago, mattg1500 said:

As said Garmin is the best. I have an oregon 650 and topo maps for pa and Ga. it works great and with lithium batteries it lasts a long time. I strongly urge you to NOT use cell phone based gps. If Im ever lost I want every bit of battery life left to use to phone help. Buy a good gps and a good flashlight and put good batteries in the unit and youll be good. 

I carry Battery chargers for the cell phone. I hunt all day in Maine very cold weather I’ve never used all my battery on my phone, in airplane mode. I don’t look at it all the time though it’s usually turned off I’m looking for deer don’t want to be looking at my phone or GPS all day lol

Edited by Nomad

I have owned at least 4 Garmin units. I still own two

They do everything you are asking . I stay away from ones that can insert pictures and the high end stuff. I don't buy the latest greatest because they are expensive and do not do anything that the ones i have cannot do ( that I use) 

I have Garmin GPSmap76CSx
I think this is still the best one they make. 
However as I stated above it is very slow compering to Iphone. This becomes a problem if you are moving slowly, walking, and trying to get to a specific spot like a stand. Because there is a delay in showing your movement on the GPS you end up zigzaging to get there. By the time you see yourself off course you maybe  30 yards off, and you have to track back.  The GPS on my Iphone shows me everything instantly. 

6E79E2E0-7E15-4B83-A820-8C456D1A42C5.jpeg

Edited by Lunatic