IGNORED

Beretta 686 vs. Browning Citori vs. Winchester 101

alabjr

I love hunting and fishing, but I might love busting clays all year round just as much or even more... so my Mossberg Silver Reserve II field model isn’t going to be a long term solution for my sporting clay addiction lol.

I’m not in the market for anything right this second, but as I continually obsess over my “one of these days I’ll get one” purchase research I always come back to the 3 guns listed in the title. 

I’d love to hear some thoughts and opinions regarding each of these!

My limited experience just handling and mounting these guns in shops or from the occasional generous fellow shooter at the range is this:

-the Beretta 686 profile usually feels too skinny in my hands and on my cheek (both stock and forend), but everybody raves about them so I don’t want to count out possibly the most popular O/U out there for sporting clays. Reported to be unbelievably reliable and well built, one guy told me he put over 80,000 rounds through his over the course of 10 years or so and hasn’t needed a single repair of any kind. Have to love that reliability, durability and longevity.

-Browning Citoris are usually much thicker, which I don’t mind to be honest. I love the feel of a wider forend and just love the aesthetics on most Browning O/U’s. But I’ve heard horror stories from guys about poorly assembled guns, ribs separating from barrels, receivers not fitting snug etc... though the same guys claim Browning’s warranty and customer service always fixes any issues (I just hate sending my gun away for 4-6 weeks for, albeit free, warranty repairs. Not to mention I’d almost definitely be buying used and I doubt the same warranty coverage would apply).

-at the risk of sounding like Goldilocks and the three bears, the Winchester 101 has felt “just right” any time I’ve mounted one. Keep in mind though I’ve never actually shot ANY of the models I’m asking about, and I’ve heard multiple guys say that 101’s have a weird recoil that leaves their cheek hurting (I wouldn’t believe it if it was just one guy, sounds bogus to me, but I’ve heard it more than once so who knows). Also, you just don’t see any serious or professional clay shooter with a Winchester 101 (like on the PSCA tour for example).

With all that said, there’s a good chance I’ll have to sell my Mossberg Silver Reserve II to finance this future purchase, so I would love for the gun I buy to be versatile enough for both clays and the occasional fair-weather pheasant hunt. No matter what, I’m talking 12ga, 28”or 30” barrels, and please spare me the semi-auto talk, I’m an over-under guy (when it comes to clays and upland birds) and that’s not going to change lol. 

Edited by alabjr

I own the Beretta 686 onyx 4 years I shot Sporting Clays with it and occasional trap even doubles never got to take it hunting thought about it was  good guns back then you seem to answer your question the other two guns sound like they have problems I shot a few Browning Citori for  traps they were nice guns

2 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Why not customize the Beretta with a stock that’s made exclusively for you? Good chance to get the gun fitted for your build/hold

$$$

I neglected to mention the other factor that the Beretta and Browning prices seem to be almost double the Winchester. Customizing on top of that... probably way out of my league. I’ll just have to wait longer and keep saving my pennies no matter what haha. 

About 2 years ago I wanted a gun for skeet & trap and went to Shooters down in Barnegat because at that time they had about 9 different ones to choose from.  I told the guy behind the counter to just hand them 1 at a time to me without any discussion of features or price so I could shoulder them to see how they fit and felt.  I narrowed it down to 2 that fit me and selected the French Instinct Sporting O/U 12 ga, 30" bbls, 2 3/4" or 3" chambers over a Beretta... don't remember the model Beretta but it was quite a bit cheaper. I have no regrets.  No as fancy as the Beretta but shoots..... great.

Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

2 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

About 2 years ago I wanted a gun for skeet & trap and went to Shooters down in Barnegat because at that time they had about 9 different ones to choose from.  I told the guy behind the counter to just hand them 1 at a time to me without any discussion of features or price so I could shoulder them to see how they fit and felt.  I narrowed it down to 2 that fit me and selected the French Instinct Sporting O/U 12 ga, 30" bbls, 2 3/4" or 3" chambers over a Beretta... don't remember the model Beretta but it was quite a bit cheaper. I have no regrets.  No as fancy as the Beretta but shoots..... great.

I’ve been planning on doing something like this up at Griffin and Howe. One guy told me he selected his Beretta by keeping his eyes closed and having the guy at the shop hand him gun after gun to shoulder. Since his eyes were closed there was no bias toward a particular manufacturer or model. I just keep putting it off because I know if I go up there I won’t be able to come home empty-handed like my wife would want me to lol. I’ll have to wait until I have the money and I’m ready to buy that day.  

I have a citori 625 20Ga 28" sporting and do decent as a noob with it for clays, and pretty good for upland. 

I will say even being a 20, it tends to get heavy in the field and because of that only goes upland couple times a year. 

The 101 having weird recoil kicking the cheek sounds like a bad fit. A stock fitter can do wonders with just about any gun to any shooter. I've had two guns fitted to the wife for a reasonable price.

If you want to save some money, look for a used Miroku O/U.  They make Browning Citori's, but sold them under their own brand name before Browning came to town.  Basically the same gun.  Bro-in-Law bought his almost 50 years ago, and shoots trap with it almost every Sunday.  Countless rounds fired and no issues.  I often see them for under $1000.

2 minutes ago, 6.5 Swede said:

If you want to save some money, look for a used Miroku O/U.  They make Browning Citori's, but sold them under their own brand name before Browning came to town.  Basically the same gun.  Bro-in-Law bought his almost 50 years ago, and shoots trap with it almost every Sunday.  Countless rounds fired and no issues.  I often see them for under $1000.

Miroku is definitely on my radar too, I just haven’t gotten the chance to handle one and I’m hesitant to buy something without physically seeing and mounting it first. It seems you can only buy them used (which is fine by me), I think they’re not sold new to the U.S. for some reason which makes them a little harder to find.