IGNORED

Muskrat

Got out into an area today where I have exclusive permission to trap. I went out to mark bubble trails in the clear ice and I found a good amount of muskrat activity. This is a extra wide creek that I had overlooked in the past because it was on the far end of my area. I had always thought that there were only a few rats in there and they were not worth peeking away at. Today was the first time I seriously scouted this creek and could not believe the amount of rat sign. I brought a full bundle of wood lathe with me and quickly ran out of them marking as I went. I had to finish marking the active runs and bank holes with branches that I collected. And that was only on one side of the creek! I am sure that when the ice goes out that there will be so many rats in there that I can walk across on them to trap the other side!LOL

GFW is paying $5-$6 for XXX Heavy #1 Winter Muskrat. So there is a market for them this year considering all of the negative news in the fur market this year.

I have a freezer full of rats from last year

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

So every morning on my walk , I walk past the river.......for weeks I would see ripples but no animal activity........this past week I finally saw what was causing the ripples......Muskrats and decent in size........as soon as they see or hear me they dive right under and today even almost splashed me.......and I should also note that BucksandBows  ( aka Brian) 's favorite group is the Captain and Tennile and his favorite song is Muskrat Love........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Dont know if you can trap along the Rahway River but if any trappers  local ( Cranford )  and wants to see the spot where 3 are every morning I could show you and if there is 3 theres got to be alot more.........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Meadowlands rats are like grandma's teeth now. Few and far between

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I’m not a trapper but remember seeing loads of muskrats everywhere when I was young.  The roadside grass would be lined with them along the cattail swamps of the meadowlands at night. Hardly ever see any anymore.  What happened to the population?

Native cattails have been overrun by non native phragmites which is a poor food source unlike the cattails which are a rich food source.