IGNORED

Made Venison Jerky Today.

Tarhunt

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I could never just make it right in a smoker. Also it was impossible to know if the meat temp was elevated enough to make it safe. I think for this very reason I always over "cooked" it.
I now use dehydrator but yours looks good.

I've been doing it for 30 years and finally got it perfected but, I still have to constantly monitor the smoker especially if the wind picks up. I use heavy steel plates to block the wind but, still have to watch the temperature and make sure that the gas flame is still lit. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

13 minutes ago, Tarhunt said:

I've been doing it for 30 years and finally got it perfected but, I still have to constantly monitor the smoker especially if the wind picks up. I use heavy steel plates to block the wind but, still have to watch the temperature and make sure that the gas flame is still lit. 

It is not easy to do, thats why I gave up on it.  Dehydrator is dummy proof, consistent and  it comes out great. You can also smoke it at low temps to get the flavor and finish in dehydrator.
Whatever works, and it looks like the smoker works for you well.

BTW I got careless last Sunday while smoking Venison/pork kielbasy and I am just getting over being sick. It included seeing a doctor on Wend. So be carfull with smoking, make sure you get it to right temp and for long enough. I always do but this time, for some reason I did not and I paid the price