IGNORED

FID "purchase" or "purchase and carry"

@JerseyJaysTaxidermy - check out the words you blotted out with the red lines ...

Notice the one up top has listed 2C:39-5 (that's the possession statute) and 2C:58 (that's the purchase statute). The one on the bottom has just 2C:58 (and that card just says "purchase").

I wonder when 2C:39 was enacted? Because if you read 2C:39-5(c), you'll see why that card says "and carry":

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-39-5/

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

I wonder if that bottom card of yours is older - maybe before 2C:39 was enacted??

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

You can show your copy of handgun permit.

I'm curious … do you know of someone that has purchased a handgun, and also purchases handgun ammunition, without an FPID number? Or, is this just theory?

Jim

34 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Where's @Bucndoe - he'd know.

I just don't see it - no where in the statutes, or on the NJ state police website, does it say anything about needing an FID to purchase a handgun in NJ. 

By statute it is not required, however some merchants require it for sale because of corporate governance. By statute the FID is REQUIRED for the purchase of any handgun ammo

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Just now, Bucndoe said:

By statute it is not required, however some merchants require it for sale because of corporate governance. By statute the FID is REQUIRED for the purchase of any handgun ammo

Correct me if I'm wrong but,  dosnt it say Fid permit to purchase a handgun or carry permit is required to purchase

9 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

You can show your copy of handgun permit.

Incorrect. Once you use your permit to purchase, it is no longer valid

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

5 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

I'm curious … do you know of someone that has purchased a handgun, and also purchases handgun ammunition, without an FPID number? Or, is this just theory?

Jim

No but a friend of mine from out of state was able to buy  ammo for a hand gun because he has a concealed carry permit even though it's not valid to carry here

Edited by vdep217

4 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but,  dosnt it say Fid permit to purchase a handgun or carry permit is required to purchase

I don't understand your question as you wrote it