IGNORED

Turkey Baiting Scam

nickmarch

13 minutes ago, Tbryant said:

https://www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2014/coaward_nwtf.htm 

This is all I could find as of now 

I read the details of the violations. These CLEARLY were intentional baiting incidents. You just don't ACCIDENTALLY have bait within 50 yds of a BLIND and not know it unless someone is setting you up. I'm more concerned with a hunter that walks the woods locating turkeys in the dark, sets up on the roost and has a bait pile unknown to him nearby. It can happen. I don't know how you could explain that away if the law was strictly enforced. 

1 minute ago, archer36 said:

I read the details of the violations. These CLEARLY were intentional baiting incidents. You just don't ACCIDENTALLY have bait within 50 yds of a BLIND and not know it unless someone is setting you up. I'm more concerned with a hunter that walks the woods locating turkeys in the dark, sets up on the roost and has a bait pile unknown to him nearby. It can happen. I don't know how you could explain that away if the law was strictly enforced. 

I'm speaking straight from opinion here, but I find it extremely hard to believe anyones been cited for unknowingly hunting within 300ft of a bait pile. 

9 minutes ago, Tbryant said:

I'm speaking straight from opinion here, but I find it extremely hard to believe anyones been cited for unknowingly hunting within 300ft of a bait pile. 

Have you ever shot a turkey that didn't have corn in its crop?  Every one that so have shot did.  Turkeys roost near food.  When you locate roosting birds in the dark and setup it's likely that there is bait nearby. It's just a matter of the Co's knowing of the bait and waiting for someone to show up.  

Edited by nickmarch

6 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

Have you ever shot a turkey that didn't have corn in its crop?  Every one that so have shot did.  Turkeys roost near food.  When you locate roosting birds in the dark and setup it's likely that there is bait nearby. It's just a matter of the Co's knowing of the bait and waiting for someone to show up.  

Well I don't turkey hunt every year. Probably hunted 8 times in the last 20 years. Out of the 6 turkeys I have taken, I did check once or twice out of curiosity and didn't recall seeing any corn. All insects, seeds, nuts, and grasses. I'll check again in the future.

Edited by archer36

6 minutes ago, nickmarch said:

I've shot a bird every year for the last 11 years. Not once have I found corn

No corn in their crop... public ground?  County?  I've hunted Camden and Cape May County at Winslow WMA and Belleplain State Forest.   Now I'm in Cape May County. 

There are 4 places selling corn close to me and a Tractor Supply opening soon.  

I've seen multiple people hunting.   Many will admit baiting and put the bait 300' away from where they setup.  Their theory is that it keeps birds close to their setup. There are birds around to call in.

30 minutes ago, bucky said:

Why is it you can bait deer but not turkey:hmmmer:

Who knows?  I wish they would ban baiting like they did on some federal land.  I forget which federal lands but they forbid having it on the property including in your vehicle.  

It could also be because there are less total turkeys hens and toms combined than permits.  They sell more permits than the total number of estimated turkeys in NJ.  If they allowed baiting between spring and fall seasons so many would get killed that they would have to drastically reduce the number of permits that they sell.  Permits = $$$

As for people being cited for hunting turkeys over bait , the answer is YES, I did it when I was working and it was no mistake by the hunter, but an intentional violation. As for the Fish and Game Council being able to set regulations for hunting and fishing their authority comes from Title 13, if you care to look it up and the two strike on your license is for two years for two violations in a five year period then a three year suspension if caught three times in five years. I hope that helps you get your facts straight.