IGNORED

The Carnivore Diet

not on the rug

I have been following this thread since it was posted and I am anxious to see the results of your experiment. I am an avid JRE listener so I have heard the ins and outs of the carnivore diet quite a few times. I have done brief zero carb diets to trim up a bit before vacations. My diet consisted of only meat, seafood, eggs, and certain cheeses for up to two weeks. I wouldn't say it was enjoyable, as the foods I was eating became monotonous after about a week, but it was a very efficient way of burning fat. Another downside was that my breath wasn't great during the diet, I believe this is referred to as "keto breath". 

I'm 27 years old and very much enjoy vigorous exercise and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I meal prep my lunches and dinners for the week that  consist of lean meats, complex carbs, healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, and olive oil, and mostly green veggies. Having a cheat meal on the weekend (or sometimes a cheat day) to look forward to is imperative for me - It helps me stay focused.

My wife and I are both registered for a half marathon in April and a sprint triathlon in July. My typical workout week consists of lifting, running, calisthenics, and low impact cardio. This routine allows me to stain lean and well balanced rather than being "too skinny" from just running, or "too bulky" from just lifting. Of course everyone is different and has their own agendas and goals, that is just what works best for me. 

14 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Thanks.  That's what it's all about. Just an experiment.  I agree that most "diets" are a wonderful change from the Standard American Diet.

A few questions for you:

How long did you do it for? 

What kind of numbers were you seeing in the bloodwork? 

What were you eating? 

What exercise were you doing?

I did it for 3 months.  I exercise pretty regularly.  I actually ran (and finished) the Philly marathon a few years ago.  Although it was more of a jog / walk / lumber than a run. 

I have a fit bit and get 5 miles a day, I do Pelaton for 30-45 mins 4 to 5x a week and light weight lifting probably only 2-3 times a week.  I'm 49.   I did this about 2 years ago.   With all that I still manage to be about 10 lbs overweight.  I'm 5 11 and should be 178 according to the BMI tables.  I usually fluctuate in the 180s.   I've always had high cholesterol (since my 30's), but it shot way up.  I think I was at 180 or so (with statin) and it went up to 325 (still with statin).  Worse though, a particular liver enzyme (ALT I think) went way up as well...like 3x normal.  This was at a normal DR visit and the DR said to go back to a more balanced (but healthy) diet.  

It all recovered when I went to a more balanced diet.  Meat is still a big part of it, just more balanced with veggies and fruits....try to stay away from processed and complex carbs.  

So, just get yourself tested after a few months.  Everyone is different.  But, if you feel the urge to go...DON'T IGNORE IT.  :)

Edited by dlist777

3 minutes ago, njhunter24 said:

consist of lean meats, complex carbs, healthy fats such as avocado, nuts, and olive oil, and mostly green veggies. Having a cheat meal on the weekend (or sometimes a cheat day) to look forward to. 

IMHO this is the proper way to do it!!  Short term fad diets are not the answer.  :up::up:

Right on. 

The bowel movements never normalized for you, even after 3 months?

Over time, I've grown more interested in peoples' genetic variability and how dietary choices affect them.  I know coconut oil was a big thing fora long time, but then folks were seeing negative blood issues when being tested.  Things like that make me think that unless you're ancestors evolved in a region of the world where coconut was a staple food item, you might not tolerate it very well.  Same can be said for just about anything I guess.  

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

IMHO this is the proper way to do it!!  Short term fad diets are not the answer.  :up::up:

I agree with that 100%.  "Diet" is a bad way to think of it due to the negative association with the word itself:  it conjures up images of eating nothing but lettuce, starving yourself, eating only potatoes for a month, etc.  

What you put in your face should just be part of your lifestyle and that should be healthy stuff with the occasional splurge on something bad for you, so long as you tolerate that item well.  

I'm a firm believer that everyone should hack their own bodies a bit and see what works for them and what doesn't.  Most folks don't come anywhere close to doing that though and they just buy in to what they read in a magazine or heard their favorite celebrity say they eat to lose weight or whatever.  

3 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Right on. 

The bowel movements never normalized for you, even after 3 months?

Over time, I've grown more interested in peoples' genetic variability and how dietary choices affect them.  I know coconut oil was a big thing fora long time, but then folks were seeing negative blood issues when being tested.  Things like that make me think that unless you're ancestors evolved in a region of the world where coconut was a staple food item, you might not tolerate it very well.  Same can be said for just about anything I guess.  

Yeah, it did improve over time.  I don't think it was ever normal, but the freight train urgency did subside.....

1 minute ago, MRMCR said:

I walk every morning for about 2 miles give or take for the last 50 days ( havent missed yet ) and I think the early morning 7am walk gets my metabolism going and Ive been eating less and feeling healthier.....

I'm doing 9 miles on the AT tomorrow morning if you wanna really get your metabolism going.  :D  

48 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

I walk every morning for about 2 miles give or take for the last 50 days ( havent missed yet ) and I think the early morning 7am walk gets my metabolism going and Ive been eating less and feeling healthier.....

I agree with the early morning thing. I go to Planet Fitness each workday. I'm there by 5:35 am, so I can get to work on time. I feel so good starting my day like that.

It's been a real life changer for me. There are literally no excuses for me not to do it at that hour.

Good health, everybody.

32 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

I agree with the early morning thing. I go to Planet Fitness each workday. I'm there by 5:35 am, so I can get to work on time. I feel so good starting my day like that.

It's been a real life changer for me. There are literally no excuses for me not to do it at that hour.

Good health, everybody.

The ONLY thing I would ever get up for this early is hunting or fishing :happywave:

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

I'm doing 9 miles on the AT tomorrow morning if you wanna really get your metabolism going.  :D  

The thing is I dont wont to over do it and get burned out....I could definitely do more but id rather do less more than do more less.......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE