not on the rug

The Carnivore Diet

I'm going to be embarking on this semi-strange journey for the next few months just to test my body a little bit and see where it takes me.  Has anyone ever toyed with this idea before?  I remember listening to Dr. Shawn Baker (probably the most well-known carnivore), as well as both Jordan Peterson and his daughter Mikhaila talk about not only surviving, but absolutely thriving on a pure carnivore diet.  

This concept, much like other restrictive dietary choices, isn't necessarily about what you eat, it's about what you don't eat and the focus of that is eliminating inflammatory foods, problem foods, non-foods, etc.  As a little background, I've been eating in a Paleo/Ancestral manner for nearly 11 years now. Meat, seafood, veggies, some fruit, nuts/seeds/spices and very little dairy.  The only grains that I'll consume are white rice, wild rice, and oatmeal, but only occasionally. I've also dabbled in the VLC and Keto worlds before they were cool or trendy and had great success with improved health markers.  The only thing that Keto/VLS impedes for me is high performance, high output activities.  My heavy lifting suffers, my sprinting suffers, my boxing suffers.  So I learned to carb cycle on the high output days and that worked well for me.  

Anyway, back to the experiment.  Nothing but meat, seafood and eggs.  Plenty of beef, venison, seafood, some pork and chicken, organ meats at least once weekly, etc.   Various salts (Pink Himalayan, Black Hawaiian and Celtic Sea).  Probably some pepper.  Coffee and Tea.  Plenty of water.  

I'm going to continue with the Intermittent Fasting that I've been doing for a while now.  18hrs of fasting, 6 hour eating window.  I typically eat between Noon and 6pm and then fast after that.  

Exercise will be a month of daily yoga.  I'm going to pause the lifting, boxing and other activities for now and just focus on the daily yoga.  I'll reassess exercise on March 1st.  

The plan is to do this for February and probably March as well.  It takes your body at least 30 days to even adjust to most dietary shifts, so I want to ride this out and see how it works for me. 

So who's with me?

@LPJR

Edited by not on the rug
  • Like 6

Was waiting for your post about what it actually was.  I will be following along.  I have been doing the intermittent fasting now for a year, with great results.  I also like to see what my body can actually handle and how it reacts to different stimuli.  Good luck and post often!!!

• Like 1

Started it recently like we talked about Phil. Steak and eggs made last night for today's lunch at work. GL 👍

• Like 2

Not with you.  I think the stress involved with it is worse for you than the other food you could be eating.

1 minute ago, SPEARFISH said:

Not with you.  I think the stress involved with it is worse for you than the other food you could be eating.

Not sure I follow. 

1-There is nothing stressful at all about eating delicious food. 

2-Most things that the average person considers "food" isn't actually food at all, and I wouldn't put it in my body anyway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Not sure I follow. 

1-There is nothing stressful at all about eating delicious food. 

2-Most things that the average person considers "food" isn't actually food at all, and I wouldn't put it in my body anyway

As long as it doesn't stress you out go for it.

• Like 1

Good luck on your voyage! I may not have a clue but wouldn’t a all meat diet lead to some bowel movement issues?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

Good luck on your voyage! I may not have a clue but wouldn’t a all meat diet lead to some bowel movement issues?

It can cause adverse symptoms temporarily.  Diarrhea and/or a lessening in the size/frequency of bowel movements.  These symptoms do normalize themselves once the colon adjusts.  The symptoms can also be caused by the die-off of bad bacteria in your gut that are used to feeding on excess carbs and simple sugars.  

Since meat is so readily and easily absorbed, the body digests more of it and produces less waste.  Oftentimes people who start eating more meat think they're constipated when in actuality their body is just excreting less waste.  

Edited by not on the rug
  • Like 2

When I want to drop weight quick without losing strength or stamina I switch to an all meat/fish/eggs diet but with above the ground veggies diet. Similar to Atkins. The idea is to get rid of carbs as to burn fat instead of carbs. Once a week I do eat rice though because I will never give up Sushi Friday with my kids. As long as your switch is high protein... you’re good to go. Good luck Phil

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Meat's bad for the environment, Greta's gonna be pissed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

40 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

There is a very natural remedy called psyllium husk.

37 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

When I want to drop weight quick without losing strength or stamina I switch to an all meat/fish/eggs diet but with above the ground veggies diet. Similar to Atkins. The idea is to get rid of carbs as to burn fat instead of carbs. Once a week I do eat rice though because I will never give up Sushi Friday with my kids. As long as your switch is high protein... you’re good to go. Good luck Phil

And contrary to most people believes low carb diet = no loss and in fact gain in energy level.

Phil interested to see how this will work cause i saw the Joe rogan was doing it and seems interesting. 
Like for example what do you see a normal day of food looking like for you on the carnivore diet ? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TroutandBucks said:

Phil interested to see how this will work cause i saw the Joe rogan was doing it and seems interesting. 
Like for example what do you see a normal day of food looking like for you on the carnivore diet ? 

Ok...so a normal day of eating currently looks like this for me:

Wake up at 5:30.  From then until about noon, it's just black coffee and water.  

Around noon I usually eat a small snack (roughly 400 calories). A couple of Epic Venison bars, Bison bars, some jerky, a few hard boiled eggs, Tuna,  Sardines, etc.  

No more food until around 5-5:30pm when I have dinner.  Meat/Seafood, lots of veggies, occasionally some rice.  Followed by a little fruit maybe, some nuts, some dark chocolate (90-100% pure cacao).  

Typically no more food after 6pm.  

When I go full carnivore, I'll still follow the eating pattern as above, just eliminate anything that isn't meat and adjust calories accordingly.  So, probably still eat that snack around noon (Venison bars/jerky/eggs/tuna/sardines, etc) and dinner at 5:30, but just more meat, more eggs and nothing else.  Dinner will be a large portion of meat or seafood, and maybe some eggs.  

• Like 1