IGNORED

so what would you do

buckhound

so what would you do last year I started hunting where I grew up again after one of the farmers shot a few hundred deer took years to start seeing a few deer again, i have walked for hours looking at my old places and a couple guys have probably 12 seats set up, I have moved on but watched closely and most have not been used all year some have bait and a camera but no one is hunting them seems they are keeping them so that they can lay  claim to it , someone with a seat they hunt now and then is fine I have no problem but It seems they are just trying to cover the whole area so no-one can hunt it. I hate hunting around others and usually move on but I have hunted here off And on for over thirty five years and getting tired of being pushed out. from what I can tell from talking to others these two -three guys have about 40 seats out probably more. they tend to throw corn in the summerr up to the fall in all the seats they have with cameras and if they see nothing they want to shoot they just don't hunt the seat but they leave the seat so they have claim to the area.its not just one area but two that I know of  they are doing this in and probably others. so would you just say screw it or go in and hunt in-between seats?  

If it's public, just hunt it. Don't let the other guys get in the way, especially if they rarely hunt it. I have setup my climber numerous times next to ladders or lock ons on public property (obviously when those stands weren't being hunted.) Having a stand setup in a particular area on public property doesn't make that piece off limits to everyone else. 

Edited by Hunter115522

If they are not hunting the area like you said just hunt it. On Kansas public you are allowed two stands a person and they must have your license number on them, that way someone doesn't hang 20 stands just to discourage other hunters. 

A few years back mrs rocky wanted to hunt a spot in Kansas that we hunted before but there was a stand already in what seemed to be the only tree you could hang one in. Well I had my resident friend watch the spot for 2 days and no one hunted it. So I went in there and was able to get a stand in another tree nearby. Mrs rocky hunted it the next morning and at 9a.m. this asshole outfitter, a hunter, and a dog comes in to give her crap figuring she was in their stand. To their surprise they see their stand empty and mrs rocky unloads on them for being the biggest douches in the woods that morning. I married a good one. :kissy:

many of us hunted the area for years I have no issue with that and will not go near the area they hunt but this is ridiculous they essentially laid claim to a whole cedar swamp that runs close to a mile not just one but both sides and they are doing this in at least 2 areas if not more ..earlier in the season I had a stand on the point of a swamp and then one day a stand showed up with bait and a camera but never hunted it on a few occasions my card was deleted I always make sure it snaps a pic of me before I leave... 

I've been hunting 50 years guess you can say I've been around the block. In the good old days life was much easier then before cell phones baiting and cameras. Before 1971 there was maybe 10,000 license for hundreds in the state most guys only shotgun hunted 6 day and the following Wednesday Doe day then the compound became legal and archery license sales climbed. The gun Hunter guys were complaining the bow guy's were killing too many bucks. So competition to harvest a deer in the state is nothing new. What is new is today's generation of new hunters in my humble opinion lack a thinking of etiquette and respect for others then themselves. That said I would hold my ground. Eventually you will  cross paths. bring some boxes of cracker jacks, and share,who got the best prize.lolI envision a men to men conversation would be a good thing. If they are reasonable and open-minded and respect you and your experience it would be a win-win! That's my two cents diplomatic response. Hope it works out for you. 

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

First, if they are setting that much bait and that many cameras out and not hunting those spots- well there probably is not a good buck in the area. So if you are looking for a good buck why would you want to hunt where these guys already did the scouting for you anyway? If you just want to hunt, don't care if a good buck calls that area home- then just hunt it. And if they are set up because they have something good on cam- well the more disturbance from several hunters will more than likely push that buck out of that area. I know of a good 8pt taken from a piece this fall on public. The guy used his climber next to another guy's  ladder stand. The guy with the ladder stand only hunts 6 day shotgun.  I know the guy only does 6 day because I talk to him every year. I know another guy that leaves his stand all year and only shotgun hunts. Both guys  gave me permission to sit their  stand during bow season. So unless you have talked to the guys personally, you could be wrong with your assumptions also.  We always think the worst when out in the woods but it is not always the way it appears. I have 10 ladder stands and 2 ground blinds set up on public land right now and usually never encounter others. 

29 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

If it's public, just hunt it. Don't let the other guys get in the way, especially if they rarely hunt it. I have setup my climber numerous times next to ladders or lock ons on public property (obviously when those stands weren't being hunted.) Having a stand setup in a particular area on public property doesn't make that piece off limits to everyone else. 

I just got a climber this year I am planning to use next season . 

2 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

I've been hunting 50 years guess you can say I've been around the block. In the good old days life was much easier then before cell phones baiting and cameras. Before 1971 there was maybe 10,000 license for hundreds in the state most guys only shotgun hunted 6 day and the following Wednesday Doe day then the compound became legal and archery license sales climbed. The gun Hunter guys were complaining the bow guy's were killing too many bucks. So competition to harvest a deer in the state is nothing new. What is new is today's generation of new hunters in my humble opinion lack a thinking of etiquette and respect for others then themselves. That said I would hold my ground. Eventually you will  cross paths. bring some boxes of cracker jacks, and share,who got the best prize.lolI envision a men to men conversation would be a good thing. If they are reasonable and open-minded and respect you and your experience it would be a win-win! That's my two cents diplomatic response. Hope it works out for you. 

I actually had a run in with one of them during six day in another area I walked away because it was getting out of hand so I don't think diplomacy is gonna work...

I think I know where you are talking about. It's the same group from the gun shop that used the warden to harass me during turkey season.  The same ones who ran right to left thru the woods about 30 yards in front of my blind last year during fall turkey. It looked like they threw something. I got out of the blind and there was corn. They threw corn! I packed up and left.  

12 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

First, if they are setting that much bait and that many cameras out and not hunting those spots- well there probably is not a good buck in the area. So if you are looking for a good buck why would you want to hunt where these guys already did the scouting for you anyway? If you just want to hunt, don't care if a good buck calls that area home- then just hunt it. And if they are set up because they have something good on cam- well the more disturbance from several hunters will more than likely push that buck out of that area. I know of a good 8pt taken from a piece this fall on public. The guy used his climber next to another guy's  ladder stand. The guy with the ladder stand only hunts 6 day shotgun.  I know the guy only does 6 day because I talk to him every year. I know another guy that leaves his stand all year and only shotgun hunts. Both guys  gave me permission to sit their  stand during bow season. So unless you have talked to the guys personally, you could be wrong with your assumptions also.  We always think the worst when out in the woods but it is not always the way it appears. I have 10 ladder stands and 2 ground blinds set up on public land right now and usually never encounter others. 

actually I have a nice a 8 on camera from fall so I know  one nice one is around but once season got going he disappeared  and only showed up at night once in a while . when I run into one of them earlier in another area he got irritated when I asked him to park so I wasn't shooting his window out and gave me a history lesson of how long he hunted that area LOL best part is I hunted the property almost 40 years ago when it was private. as far as multiple stands I have no issue with that my gripe is they are positioned so we would be holding hands.if a guy has a stand in an area I move on but it is becoming harder to move on , then  they put a stand forty yards from me in the fall and deleted my cards that pisses me off...

Edited by buckhound

Just now, Hunter115522 said:

Why did you leave? I thought baiting turkeys with corn was legal?

:stirring:

I've had to post this what maybe 100 times? And some won't ever get it!  Elevated in a tree or in a structure of any kind is not legal.  Hunting from the ground is legal if you are not in a structure OF ANY KIND AKA A BLIND.