IGNORED

Union County Cull Hunts

ithaca10

It seems to me that you have an ax to grind with union co specifically....

why no problem with the fact that hunterdon parks charge a total of 160 dollars for none resident permits? Union co only asks that you pay for insurance ( 45 bucks as already stated by others) union county also provides feeders and corn for all hunting agents. Do any of the other parks do that?

why treestands? 100% safety issue- all projectiles must be directed towards the ground.  Do you have an issue with safety? The hunted areas are surrounded by homes, people walking in the park, etc. maybe you are just opposed to common sense logic?

an “ old boys club” - more than half of the hunters every year are newly selected agents while return agents are necessary for the mere fact that each park needs Experienced hunters to help the new guys out- so again major uninformed assumption.

i can only guess that you still will find a reason to bitch and moan, so my recommendation is to move to a county that will treat you more fairly 

3 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say we hunters are out of the loop?  Archery hunting is Union County's management plan.  So hunters are directly in the loop.  They are probably the most densely populated county in the state, so comparing them to Morris or Hunterdon Parks which are in more rural areas with large tracts of land in Republican territory doesn't make any sense.  And you keep saying that the county is not the landowner, the taxpayers are.  True, but in the US, we assign public properties to towns, counties, states, and feds as overseers of that land.  So those county government in this case absolutely has the right to hold a hunt or not hold a hunt.  If you don't like the votes they take, vote in a new candidate.  

Vote in new Freeholders or the people that run the hunt?

3 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

Some hunts also require FID card as a background check.  I didn't apply for Union Count because you could only go on certain weekdays, and were expected to do so..

I didn't either because of health issues can't climb a ladder stand or climber.  So i'm fucked because some Good Ole Boys Club made up the rules and regs. I'm retired could go seven days a week.

Edited by ithaca10

30 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

I didn't either because of health issues can't climb a ladder stand or climber.  So i'm fucked because some Good Ole Boys Club made up the rules and regs. I'm retired could go seven days a week.

I understand and that does suck for you, but you have to put yourself in the county's hands.  They are obviously squeamish libs that are afraid of hunting to begin with, but they also know they can't live with a couple hundred deer per square mile either.  In an effort to appease their left leaning base, they make as many restrictions as they can and shooting down at what is usually a fairly steep angle is a safety thing.  Even though we all know that nobody is getting shot with arrows, it's the tree stand falls we need to watch out for.   

There are those that cant understand things and those who WON’T understand things... Ithaca , you are clearly the second choice.

all counties that run management hunts develope the guidelines to meet the needs of the county and its deer herd.....NOT THE NEEDS  OF THE HUNTERS!  Again there is no conspiracy by a “ good old boys club” unless all county offials make up said club. And while taxpaying hunters have rights ,so do the taxpaying dog walkers and bike riders to use these same parks that the counties are ALLOWING us to hunt in. 

the tremendous amount of cooperation between groups like nj federation of sportsman , nj fish and game, and county officials should be recognized and applauded rather than criticized just because the guidelines don’t meet your specific needs.

please go put up a ground blind in another less discriminating county....or just move on

There are those that cant understand things and those who WON’T understand things... Ithaca , you are clearly the second choice.
all counties that run management hunts develope the guidelines to meet the needs of the county and its deer herd.....NOT THE NEEDS  OF THE HUNTERS!  Again there is no conspiracy by a “ good old boys club” unless all county offials make up said club. And while taxpaying hunters have rights ,so do the taxpaying dog walkers and bike riders to use these same parks that the counties are ALLOWING us to hunt in. 
the tremendous amount of cooperation between groups like nj federation of sportsman , nj fish and game, and county officials should be recognized and applauded rather than criticized just because the guidelines don’t meet your specific needs.
please go put up a ground blind in another less discriminating county....or just move on

Don’t forget UBNJ ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, flukebelly said:

It seems to me that you have an ax to grind with union co specifically....

why no problem with the fact that hunterdon parks charge a total of 160 dollars for none resident permits? Union co only asks that you pay for insurance ( 45 bucks as already stated by others) union county also provides feeders and corn for all hunting agents. Do any of the other parks do that?

why treestands? 100% safety issue- all projectiles must be directed towards the ground.  Do you have an issue with safety? The hunted areas are surrounded by homes, people walking in the park, etc. maybe you are just opposed to common sense logic?

an “ old boys club” - more than half of the hunters every year are newly selected agents while return agents are necessary for the mere fact that each park needs Experienced hunters to help the new guys out- so again major uninformed assumption.

i can only guess that you still will find a reason to bitch and moan, so my recommendation is to move to a county that will treat you more fairly 

A) Hunterdon does not charge $160 dollars to hunt. B) Towns and counties have insurance covering such as in their baseball, soccer, golf, etc. As it does for hunting. C) Safety issue yes but the walkways do not cut through all areas of the park for instance Lenape and Nomohegan has one path that runs the outskirts of both people are not trapsing through the rest because it's predominately swamp. Why take a proficiency test you already take one in order to get your bow license. I don't need feed or feeder i have my own the county does not have to supply. As far as experience i think i'm proficient than most. Why do you have to be 21, i went to war when i was 18 does that make me more of a lesser person. I can not climb into a stand put guys that can't do that on the ground away from paths and the general public. In my opinion these rules and regs were made up from "The Good Ole Boys Club. And discriminates against hunters like myself. That's not bitching and moaning i just want to share in what every one else does.  You talk about discouraging people from getting into this sport and why there are less and less hunters and fisherman joining it's ranks because rules and regs like these.

4 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

A) Hunterdon does not charge $160 dollars to hunt. B) Towns and counties have insurance covering such as in their baseball, soccer, golf, etc. As it does for hunting. C) Safety issue yes but the walkways do not cut through all areas of the park for instance Lenape and Nomohegan has one path that runs the outskirts of both people are not trapsing through the rest because it's predominately swamp. Why take a proficiency test you already take one in order to get your bow license. I don't need feed or feeder i have my own the county does not have to supply. As far as experience i think i'm proficient than most. Why do you have to be 21, i went to war when i was 18 does that make me more of a lesser person. I can not climb into a stand put guys that can't do that on the ground away from paths and the general public. In my opinion these rules and regs were made up from "The Good Ole Boys Club. And discriminates against hunters like myself. That's not bitching and moaning i just want to share in what every one else does.  You talk about discouraging people from getting into this sport and why there are less and less hunters and fisherman joining it's ranks because rules and regs like these.

The proficiency u take for the test is a joke and I used to be an instructor..  especially now with x bow take it with x bow hunt with whatever bow you want and vise versa.

I will make one last statement and then give up ... you cant have a logical discussion with an illogical person- especially one who clearly has never hunted in the hunterdon county park system.( which i have for over ten years) please everyone who is listening to this guy look on the hunterdon county parks website and look at the  “ controlled hunting program” . It costs $40 for each non resident permit ... 40 for fall bow, 40 for permit bow, 40 for shotgun, and 40 for muzzleloader. That is on top of your existing state permits.

you keep playing the “old boy club “ angle -you seem to be well over 70, doesn’t that qualify you for the club?

the hunt is conducted following very reasonable guidelines for everyone’s benefit:

qualified hunters proficient in both archery and fireams

insured hunters for legal purposes

treestands for SAFETY, AGAIN SAFETY.

new hunters accepted every year

etc etc

my head hurts... i’m done

36 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

I think someone has not come to terms one is getting old and there are things that one can not do anymore. If you don't meet the requirement just find an alternative. There are a million places in this state you go kill a hundred does a day. Especially if you are as great a shot as you have self proclaimed. Nobody is discriminating against you as you claim.  Those are the rules for everybody. 

8 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Reading his statements on this thread seems to be exactly the reason to have these requirements, to weed out person(s) not suitable for a CULL hunt.  

And someday we all will be that same guy .

you guys realize he is in his 70’s right ?

many guys will be in the same boat climbing into even a ladder stand at that age .

i remember my father who would sit all day on a 2x4 nailed across 2 limbs , the day it took all I had to get him back down from a ladder stand .

life changes as we get older , and it sucks to be excluded because of age or physical shape .

some one wanting to hunt local to their house I can understand his anger .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

It's not the age it's the neuropathy I have from Agent Orange in Vietnam that stops me from climbing. And also driving stops me from.going to our properties. I'm retired and would love to hunt and fish every day.  The Freeholder's of Union County were fed these regs to deter people from applyingso certa in gun club.members had an exclusive. End of conversation.

2 hours ago, deadonshot2 said:

I think someone has not come to terms one is getting old and there are things that one can not do anymore. If you don't meet the requirement just find an alternative. There are a million places in this state you go kill a hundred does a day. Especially if you are as great a shot as you have self proclaimed. Nobody is discriminating against you as you claim.  Those are the rules for everybody. 

Not age but medical issues from serving.our country in Vietnam.