IGNORED

Union County Cull Hunts

ithaca10

9 minutes ago, TouchofGrey said:

Rusty.. I wasnt  making a negative comparison to hunting and bait. I wasn't hundred percent sure about stand location. I believe that the County uses a lottery system for the available hunting areas and you are assign a specific stand.

:up: :up:

So this is a twp sponsored cull hunt where they make public land owned by the twp accessible for shooting deer through lottery?

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

15 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Basically it boils down to it's their property and they can controll it how they want to making their own rules. Dont like them dont hunt them.  Most likely it was their only option as it got voted down for other means of controll and they dont like hunting so they make it difficult.  Also has to do with other uses of ssid park,  one may be heavily used by the general public where another is only in one area where the general public are most of the time

It's not their property it's the taxpayers property not the counties.

I get that some of you don’t like it, but at the end of the day it’s county property and the county sets the rules. You should be happy it’s even open to hunting. Some towns bring in teams of “sharpshooters” to take out the population of deer or even worse, some towns cave to the antis who convince them they can use birth control and that hunting is bad and evil for animals.

We as hunters enjoy hunting for a myriad of reasons whether it be the venison, the quiet time outdoors, etc., but people need to understand from a county/twp perspective- they have a problem and they need it to be solved. And if they open it to hunters and hunters don’t do the job, they will look elsewhere for a solution.

I can’t speak to union county specifically, but it sounds like they need as many deer taken out as possible. From a conservation aspect, too many deer, especially does, is bad for the herd. This may not be your exact idea of hunting and if you don’t like it, then don’t hunt it.

BUT my personal opinion is it seems like a good spot for a freezer filler, and you can use your other spots to wait for a good buck if you choose.

These county “management” hunts aren’t meant to be trophy spots, they’re for the population to be managed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TouchofGrey said:

I am a 5 minute walk to Nomahegan. This hunt was forced on the Freeholders about 10 years ago because the damage surrounding the landscaping. And the vehicle/ deer accidents is crazy.  There is no way the Politicians wanted this, they HAD to do it.

1 thing you left out is I'm pretty sure your assigned a spot and hunt over bait. If someone can't make a spot your called and assigned it. One isn't walking into Watchung and hunting. 

I have considered it when it was gun season. The convenience would be great, but it seemed like you were a school guard assigned to kill deer. I too would like to hear from someone that participates, but for now I'll drive the hour to a WMA.

And how many guys on here hunt over bait? You read it all the time on here where can i buy corn, beets, apples, mineral blocks etc. You also read the farmer wants me to go out and shot a couple of does etc. isn't that a cull hunt. You guys are missing the whole point of this conversation.  Has anyone here been a member of the Union County Federation of Sportsman Clubs?

No kidding. But you also is missing the point.
No, I'm really not. I participate in management hunts and one of mine has the exact same requirements with 1 exception; we can hunt from the ground. At the end of the day, it's your choice whether or not you want to sign up. Their land, their rules. Deal with it.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

No, I'm really not. I participate in management hunts and one of mine has the exact same requirements with 1 exception; we can hunt from the ground. At the end of the day, it's your choice whether or not you want to sign up. Their land, their rules. Deal with it.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

What county? Would like to look it up. Yes it is my choice. And i feel like alot of other people we as hunters are being left out of the loop because their strict regs. Did you  hunt when you were 18 why do they require you to be 21. You can hunt public and federal property without 1ml insurance policy. Here's a post today about hunting from the ground experienced hunters can't or won't do it because they are getting older. Your hunt allows you to hunt from the ground why not Union County.  Not their land it's the Taxpayers land. Just reads to me that it's being run by a Good Ole Boys Club. 

30 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

You guys are missing the whole point of this conversation.

Okay..you quoted me earlier. If you wish to partake in this endeavor next year it would seem like you need to start soon to fulfill the requirements that the County Administrators set up or yell on the front lawn at clouds

11 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

Just reads to me that it's being run by a Good Ole Boys Club. 

Perhaps if you became a member of the UC G.O.B.s Club you can make amendments so others can enlist.

This is my last Post on this topic I tried to help but I can see its futile. Cheers mate.

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

In residential areas that's the only way that it can be done.  You can't wander through people's yards looking for natural food sources and funnels.  Bait is used to bring deer to where they can be shot safely.  

That's exactly how I do it in the community that I am currently working for.  But we make it fun by giving the stands cute names, like the Maple and the Really Nice Tree.  :rofl:    

I do so miss The Really Nice Tree stand......damned wind storm! 

50 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

What county? Would like to look it up. Yes it is my choice. And i feel like alot of other people we as hunters are being left out of the loop because their strict regs. Did you  hunt when you were 18 why do they require you to be 21. You can hunt public and federal property without 1ml insurance policy. Here's a post today about hunting from the ground experienced hunters can't or won't do it because they are getting older. Your hunt allows you to hunt from the ground why not Union County.  Not their land it's the Taxpayers land. Just reads to me that it's being run by a Good Ole Boys Club. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you say we hunters are out of the loop?  Archery hunting is Union County's management plan.  So hunters are directly in the loop.  They are probably the most densely populated county in the state, so comparing them to Morris or Hunterdon Parks which are in more rural areas with large tracts of land in Republican territory doesn't make any sense.  And you keep saying that the county is not the landowner, the taxpayers are.  True, but in the US, we assign public properties to towns, counties, states, and feds as overseers of that land.  So those county government in this case absolutely has the right to hold a hunt or not hold a hunt.  If you don't like the votes they take, vote in a new candidate.  

Edited by Bucksnbows
typo