IGNORED

Union County Cull Hunts

ithaca10

Does anyone on here take part in the Archery portion of the cull hunts.  Have a call into the county why their regs. to take part are so extreme. Hunterdon, Morris County parks don't even come close. Not even the Federal Refuge aka Great Swamp. Example must be 21, have a million dollar insurance policy, take a proficiency test, must speak english etc. I live in Union County and would like to take advantage of being so close.

I've hunted Hunterdon County Parks and the Great Swamp. But i have a cpl of parks within walking distance of my Apt. Have been hunting with Bow, Shotgun, Rifle and Crossbow for 63 years in NJ, Pa and NY.

Edited by ithaca10

16 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

Example must be 21, have a million dollar insurance policy, take a proficiency test, must speak english etc. I live in Union County and would like to take advantage of being so close.

So which of the criteria are you unable to achieve?

AWM

If I had to take a guess, id say partly because Union county’s population density is extremely high, and WAY higher than hunterdon and Morris. You’ve got to be extremely proficient & those requirements weed out a lot of people and lead to better candidates for the hunt. They also want people who are going to shoot and cull the land, not use it to trophy hunt and let deer walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dynamicduojx said:

If I had to take a guess, id say partly because Union county’s population density is extremely high, and WAY higher than hunterdon and Morris. You’ve got to be extremely proficient & those requirements weed out a lot of people and lead to better candidates for the hunt. They also want people who are going to shoot and cull the land, not use it to trophy hunt and let deer walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the population part but that's it.  But not the other things you have to be 21, you have to have a million dollar insurance policy you have to be in a tree stand. You have to take a proficient test from a range officer. I can't use a tree stand i hunt from the ground so i guess i'm screwed.

10 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

I agree with the population part but that's it.  But not the other things you have to be 21, you have to have a million dollar insurance policy you have to be in a tree stand. You have to take a proficient test from a range officer. I can't use a tree stand i hunt from the ground so i guess i'm screwed.

Every hunt I have been involved with has these requirements or stricter.  I have not participated in the Union County hunt.

2 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

Every hunt I have been involved with has these requirements or stricter.  I have not participated in the Union County hunt.

Morris County and Hunterdon Counties and the Great Swamp is no where near that strict on their regs.  Whar counties or hunts are you talking about?