IGNORED

Birds and Small Game?

No dog can find a grouse in NJ any more along with no person :shakehead:. If you can find one need to let it live and reproduce. 

There are more grouse in small pockets across the state than most realize. But I agree that we shouldn’t target them hunting wise right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, ChefBrian said:

Don't know anything about dogs, don't even have a dog yet.  Can you train a dog for grouse and pheasant, as well as squirrels and rabbits?

You are going to get a million responses. At end of the day, if you really want a true versatile dog- there is no better than Drahthaar. Don’t take anyone’s word for it. A real hunting dog is an investment. Go to a retriever, pointer, or any dog breed club and watch the dogs work. The. Meet up with the Drahthaar group... there really is no comparison. 

I have had a lab. I currently have a vizsla fully trained for all upland. 

I just got got a Drahthaar. At 8 months old, with little training- she has successfully tracked and retrieved rabbits. She has retrieved geese and mallards. She has pointed and retrieved multiple quail as well. 

I never believed it until I went to a club meeting. 

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

At end of the day, if you really want a true versatile dog- there is no better than Drahthaar. 

Have to disagree, Google Boykins and you’d be surprised what they do. Hell they’ll even find turtles if you let them smell one before setting them off to retrieve one

Edited by MGHunter66

AWM

On 5/31/2019 at 4:08 PM, cewoz560 said:

You're looking for a versatile breed.

Check out the Deutsch Drahthaar.

Folks that remember Tom Costanza (TJC) from NJH … he had a pair DD's. Really great pheasant hunters, anyway. Kick up rabbits.  They were fun to hunt with.

Anyway, I know labs. And, yes … sure can flush birds, chase bunnies, and retrieve ducks. And, do it well.

Edited by Jim_

8 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Have to disagree, Google Boykins and you’d be surprised what they do. Hell they’ll even find turtles if you let them smell one before setting them off to retrieve one

Ha my drah will track anything. You can’t compare a drahthaar versatility to boykins. 

Love boykins. I’ve hunted over them but they don’t point. They flush. Drahthaar will point. They will flush on command. So for upland- Drahthaar will out perform. On geese- watch a boykin vs. a drahthaar fight a cripple. On rabbits... on tracking deer....lol I’ll never convince you but for the OP- research and watch dogs in action at a breed club  

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Ha my drah will track anything. You can’t compare a drahthaar versatility to boykins. 

Love boykins. I’ve hunted over them but they don’t point. They flush. Drahthaar will point. They will flush on command. So for upland- Drahthaar will out perform. On geese- watch a boykin vs. a drahthaar fight a cripple. On rabbits... on tracking deer....lol I’ll never convince you but for the OP- research and watch dogs in action at a breed club  

Trying to say that because a dog points it outperforms another is assinine. Some sportsman choose a flusher because they find it boring to walk up to a dog thats pointing a bird, then flush and shoot it... that would be me LOL . Trying duck hunting out of a canoe with your 70lb dog

AWM

I agree the best dog is the dog that you own and can train properly for your style of hunting. The reason I chose at DD's because of the strict breeding regulations.

In my opinion most of the popular dogs labs/retreivers are over bread and windup having issues with hip dysplasia, cancers blood disorders excetera. Finding an experienced reputable breeder is mandatory yet most of us don't want to pay the price.

With the DD your dog had to have passed field natural ability puppy test call the VJP then and an HZP and breed show in order to be bred. Then you must get x-rays of their hips, shoulders etc along with blood work to make sure they cannot pass on any hereditary genes that could hurt the breed. honestly it's so strict that even my dog had a crooked tooth she would not be able to breed. We also have a breed warden that makes sure you're kennel adheres to the strict rules and regulations.

They also must have high scores and not show any gun shyness, temperament and predator drive is also a prerequisite. Owners also must be hunters.

bottom line is even if you went with an inexperienced breeder your dog will have a leg up on everyone else with all the natural ability built in to their genes.

https://www.vdd-gna.org/history-of-the-deutsch-drahthaar/

Again good luck to you do all your research.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I believe pudelpointers were used in the development of the dd. They also have strict breeding restrictions ,these German breeds require diligent training but in the end you wind up with a tough excellent hunting companion!

I believe pudelpointers were used in the development of the dd. They also have strict breeding restrictions ,these German breeds require diligent training but in the end you wind up with a tough excellent hunting companion!
You are correct the dogs afhaental has all the percentages ideally this dog is a mutt breeding the best of five different breeds into it.

I'm not biased or anything!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk