IGNORED

and then there were none (check in stations)

mazzgolf

Well, I guess it's true - Atco Sports Center is closed for good. The last turkey check-in station in Camden County. Awesome. :whatever:

It is listed in the 2018-19 printed version of the digest, but they took it out of the online version - page 60... Camden County isn't even listed anymore:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2018/dighnt18.pdf

They really need to get rid of these brick-n-mortar check-in requirements. I'm fairly confident they would get more accurate harvest numbers because I can only image how many turkeys go un-checked because people don't want to drive a half hour to do it.

4 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Well, I guess it's true - Atco Sports Center is closed for good. The last turkey check-in station in Camden County. Awesome. :whatever:

It is listed in the 2018-19 printed version of the digest, but they took it out of the online version - page 60... Camden County isn't even listed anymore:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2018/dighnt18.pdf

They really need to get rid of these brick-n-mortar check-in requirements. I'm fairly confident they would get more accurate harvest numbers because I can only image how many turkeys go un-checked because people don't want to drive a half hour to do it.

Talking to the new owner of Stokes Sport Shop the other day and he said that they were going to be one before the season. He was told that the state is doing away with the physical checking in of the birds just like deer and will be automated next season so they decided to hold off. 

20 hours ago, Mixbaghunter said:

I know they used to get a dollar a deer  payed at the end of the year and if I remember that was taxed by the state.so not worth it  for most .

It was typically done to bring in more customers.  Of course not everyone is going to walk into whichever store you're checking your game into and buy something, but some will and you hope the return at other times.  It was never about making $$ off the check-ins for the business owners.    

40 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

It was typically done to bring in more customers.  Of course not everyone is going to walk into whichever store you're checking your game into and buy something, but some will and you hope the return at other times.  It was never about making $$ off the check-ins for the business owners.    

Yes it was but trust  me it brought people in but not more sales

23 hours ago, Batsto said:

Do the check in stations get paid by state? 

22 hours ago, Mixbaghunter said:

I know they used to get a dollar a deer  payed at the end of the year and if I remember that was taxed by the state.so not worth it  for most .

The amount of work is not worth it and they don't do it for the money the state gives them but for business traffic.
Its a bargain for the state. Think about the cost if you had state workers do it, including medical and pension.

29 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

The amount of work is not worth it and they don't do it for the money the state gives them but for business traffic.
Its a bargain for the state. Think about the cost if you had state workers do it, including medical and pension.

Agree, but there is not many check in stations. Maybe the local police stations should check turkey tags. They have secretary help and the state will not have to pay outside merchants. 

3 minutes ago, Mixbaghunter said:

Yup they need to go with online everything.  I still don't understand why I  can't print my license at home if I am already in the computer. 

Right on! Have your documents on your phone.