IGNORED

Coyote question

When u call them be ready to shoot. You may only get 1 chance. Put alot of thought into playing the wind and scent control. Its alot of fun but I've been out with a few guys who watch too many shows lol. I turned around and left. They are so weary its incredible. Trapping is a different story because you dont have to be there. They pick up your scent they're gone. Plain and simple. Not like TV where they call and they just come charging in shoot it and then 3 more come lol. 

I specifically hunted coyotes last special rifle season about 10-12 days.  I called in dogs about 8-9 of those days.  Of the dozen yotes i called in, i killed half of them.  I have a good system that worked.  I would have to say my location was most important (location and wind), calling sequence and time being second.  I never hunted a field and most spots were deep woods where they lived (not where i wanted them to be).  I killed most dogs on still days between 8am-10am.  I always tried to pull them off there bedding/ denning areas.  It worked!  Cant wait til coyote season this year

12 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I specifically hunted coyotes last special rifle season about 10-12 days.  I called in dogs about 8-9 of those days.  Of the dozen yotes i called in, i killed half of them.  I have a good system that worked.  I would have to say my location was most important (location and wind), calling sequence and time being second.  I never hunted a field and most spots were deep woods where they lived (not where i wanted them to be).  I killed most dogs on still days between 8am-10am.  I always tried to pull them off there bedding/ denning areas.  It worked!  Cant wait til coyote season this year

Are you calling them in to the state ? 

On 12/22/2018 at 2:48 PM, Rdfhunter said:

The state doesn’t have the data to lengthen the season . That’s why all sightings, kills need to be reported to the state .. 

I don't know why?  NYS has coyote season open from October to March seven days a week with night rifle hunting allowed. Why doesn't NJ do the same. NJ now allows rifles,but only during the day.  Shotguns must be used at night. Although I have my Mossberg 835 rigged up with "Dead Coyote" loads and the choke tube engineered for those loads I amost never go in NJ because I can go in nearby NYS with my.243 at night.

Then again very few hunters go out for coyotes in either state. In NYS I don't usually go for yotes until January when the pelts are prime. I was going to go in Sterling Forest last night,but I got lazy and stayed home.  I just don't get as motivated for yotes hunting as I do for deer hunting.

I'm heading out this week to sight in my AR and will be out with H_H soon in Sparta.  They are becoming a nuisance animal much like bears were until we started hunting them hard several years ago.  I saw a yote at 5 yards during fall archery season, but my Hoyt was hanging on the opposite side of the tree and I couldn't move without getting busted.  Never got a shot at her.  But once the gun seasons are over in Sparta, the yotes should be more predictable as they were in late summer/early fall.  

21 hours ago, 230jhp said:

I don't know why?  NYS has coyote season open from October to March seven days a week with night rifle hunting allowed. Why doesn't NJ do the same. NJ now allows rifles,but only during the day.  Shotguns must be used at night. Although I have my Mossberg 835 rigged up with "Dead Coyote" loads and the choke tube engineered for those loads I amost never go in NJ because I can go in nearby NYS with my.243 at night.

Then again very few hunters go out for coyotes in either state. In NYS I don't usually go for yotes until January when the pelts are prime. I was going to go in Sterling Forest last night,but I got lazy and stayed home.  I just don't get as motivated for yotes hunting as I do for deer hunting.

The state does its population estimates based off harvest , road kills and sightings and with ppl not reporting kills the state thinks we have far fewer than some believe are out there. They are not going to base NJ harvest on NY Data

When I talk to non-hunters and I mention coyotes, everyone is surprised we even have them in the state. "Really? Coyotes?" Unless you are out in the woods (or live on a farm), no one seems to know how prevalent yotes are. I can say before I started hunting, I had no clue. Now that I'm in the woods, I see them or hear them all the time in all different areas.

If I hear or see them in a new area that I haven't reported on them before, I'll report them. I don't report them for the same area multiple times - but I do if I see them for the first time in a particular area. At minimum, I want the state to have a record of it - I mean, I'm seeing and hearing them all over in Camden County - if they are here, they are everywhere.

1 hour ago, Rdfhunter said:

The state does its population estimates based off harvest , road kills and sightings and with ppl not reporting kills the state thinks we have far fewer than some believe are out there. They are not going to base NJ harvest on NY Data

I personally don't think people are not reporting harvests. I believe we don't kill too many.

Edited by Lunatic