IGNORED

Tick Protection For Dogs ?

I was wondering what folks use on their dogs for protection against ticks.

I've been reading around and I can't find anything done by a reputable source about the effectiveness of the different products. Just casual comparisons of cost, dosing, methods, etc.

Different vets have different opinions. Some are against giving the dog a medication to be given my mouth like Bravecto, others prefer them to the topical treatments like Advantix. 

Ticks are an evil scourge.

I think its Advantage the Mrs uses on our Rat Terriers....its placed on the back of their neck and works good...I do know at one point it was cheaper to have it shipped from Australia than to buy it here,  even though it was made here.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

We use a two-fold approach on our dogs.  Peppermint oil goes in their shampoo and then rubbed in to their fur and legs periodically.  The strong scent of essential oils like that acts as a deterrent to fleas, ticks, etc. 

We tried all of the topical products like Frontline and Advantix, etc in the past and they don't work at all to keep ticks off of the dogs.  

About a year ago we started giving the Bravecto pill and I will say that it works like a charm for ticks.    

Edited by not on the rug

19 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

We use a two-fold approach on our dogs.  Peppermint oil goes in their shampoo and then rubbed in to their fur and legs periodically.  The strong scent of essential oils like that acts as a deterrent to fleas, ticks, etc. 

We tried all of the topical products like Advantix, etc in the past and they don't work at all to keep ticks off of the dogs.  

About a year ago we started giving the Bravecto pill and I will say that it works like a charm for ticks.    

That's good news with the Bravecto pill. We are constantly at war with ticks in the pines. 

17 minutes ago, Silver Belly62 said:

For my hounds I had been using frontline for a long time, but had to change things up and use another brand as it seemed like it wasn't as good 

I've read that ..... some folks feel that Frontline becomes less effective over time.

I used Frontline for years, but I switched some years back because it seemed to me to lose its effectiveness after the dog spent a lot of time in water .... though it claims to be waterproof. I don't know. I've been using AdvantixII.

We use Frontline on our Brittanies with great success over the years, but only briefly in Spring and again in fall during hunting season. He swims in our pool from late May until sometime in September and the chlorine keeps ticks off better than anything else ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Vet recommended Advantix II and I have been using that on my GSP with maybe only 4 ticks on her in 3 years. Apply it to her head, neck shoulders and down her back and brush it in and around to spread it.

But I think her dark color has a lot to do with it. I was told that ticks go to light/white colors because most animals bellies are white. 

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

38 minutes ago, RPK0620 said:

My Vet recommended Advantix II and I have been using that on my GSP with maybe only 4 ticks on her in 3 years. Apply it to her head, neck shoulders and down her back and brush it in and around to spread it.

But I think her dark color has a lot to do with it. I was told that ticks go to light/white colors because most animals bellies are white. 

I think ticks are like heat seeking missiles, always looking for  warm blooded animals. 

• 1 month later...

My findings:

Frontline cant even kill a cat- so they're out.

Advantix2 I used and I would find ticks on my dog, attached to her skin, dead. Who knows how long it took to die? Idk. Hopefully before diseases are transmitted.

Twice I found the finish on my hardwood floors stained and melted- figured out it was running off her back right after application and ruining my floors.both spots are 4 equally spaced blotches the distance apart I applied to her back. Never would have figured it out if I didnt notice it dripping the 2nd time.

I switched to nexguard chewable tablets. Expensive and I was worried because I figured if these ingredients could destroy my finish on my floor, what is it doing to her skin? And what would it do to her insides if she ate it? Then I thought about what cola does to many surfaces- and we drink that all the time- so it was worth a try being very few dog death reviews I found.

Now I find a tick- on her hair- dead- not attached. I dont know how it works- but seems to be the best. Sometimes I'll find one attached and dead.. but so nice to not need to have those ugly stains on her back for a week every month.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk