IGNORED

Brake Fluid Change ?

Mink

I have never done this.

Did he change the air in your tires?

Many years ago, I went out to Corvettes at Carlise and there was a guy selling an old Corvette and he claimed that the car had the original air in the tires from 1960. The guy was totally serious. He was asking more money because of it. I just kept walking.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Only had to change the brake fluid after the break line broke.  The very second I picked it up from being serviced.  After I told them to check the break lines because the tires were coming off the truck at the time.  The day I was driving up to NH.  Yeah, never went back to that place.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

All statements are correct , it’s supposed to be changes at a certain interval that the manufacturer suggests. So is your transmission, antifreeze, diff oil and oil . Everyone has a interpretation on when they need to be changed. Your mechanic isn’t BS’n you , it’s just a service that’s not sold to often, and is testing the waters on how gullible you are. If your a guy that likes to do everything the manufacture suggests , he’ll do just that and it won’t add any life to any of the parts . Shits gonna break , maintain within reason and don’t look for trouble . Like many mentioned , I as a tech have never changed brake fluid on Any of my own vechles & I believe I changed one caliper in dozens of cars and trucks owned.

Edited by Nanuk

I have little sticks, kind of like Litmus pare at my shop. You can dip it in the master cylinder and wait a few minutes to see what color it changes to. There is a scale on the container where you compare the color and that equates to water content. I test all of my customers cars when I change the oil just as a courtesy. Most are just fine but sometimes I run into a car that truly needs it changed. In my opinion, if the seal on your master cylinder cap is good, the brake fluid seems to stay in pretty good shape. If the seal is bad the brake fluid tends to absorb moisture out of the air. This moisture, if it’s present, can corrode parts in the braking system especially these days with all the aluminum parts in the braking system. Also, under hard use, the moisture can turn to steam and give poor braking performance. But, for the most part, it’s not necessary under normal circumstances.

I have little sticks, kind of like Litmus pare at my shop. You can dip it in the master cylinder and wait a few minutes to see what color it changes to. There is a scale on the container where you compare the color and that equates to water content. I test all of my customers cars when I change the oil just as a courtesy. Most are just fine but sometimes I run into a car that truly needs it changed. In my opinion, if the seal on your master cylinder cap is good, the brake fluid seems to stay in pretty good shape. If the seal is bad the brake fluid tends to absorb moisture out of the air. This moisture, if it’s present, can corrode parts in the braking system especially these days with all the aluminum parts in the braking system. Also, under hard use, the moisture can turn to steam and give poor braking performance. But, for the most part, it’s not necessary under normal circumstances.

Checking it first before replacing.  What a NOVEL Idea!!  Now THAT makes sense to me.  

Good job dude.

RayG

My mechanic suggested I change the brake fluid on my Silverado he said it should be done every two years! Do you guys change your brake fluid? 

Mink,

After thinking upon this question for an honest answer for you ......

Many, many, years ago, I once turned wrenches for a living.

One of the Dealers I worked for was for Alfa-Romero cars.

I do remember reading the manufactures recommendations was for the Brake Fluid to be changed every 2 years.

(But these Italian POS actually leaked engine oil right off the delivery truck.)

So, in all fairness to the mechanic who made the recommendation for you was not trying to blatantly rip you off.

I also remember working between the Thanksgiving Holiday through the following March when income tax refunds are due.  

Thanksgiving through March... Times were hard since few people had extra income to repair their vehicles due to Christmas Shopping and paying off bills.

The Dealerships never paid their employees hourly wages. Only Flat-Rate pay.

So, basically what I am saying is... The mechanic was only trying to sell a legitimate "Service".

Personally, I do not think he was being shady.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Worked for GM through college and was ASE certified. Manufactures reccomend a lot of maintanince that is not necessary and they know it. They do this so if something like your master cylinder leaks or a brake caliper freezes, they can blame you for not getting the fluid changed every two years. I would personally never change brake fluid unless you had a complaint about spongey brakes (Which could indicate air in the system which might mean a leak and therefore moisture could get in) or I would replace all the fluid if you had to replace a line or caliper since you would have to bleed the entire system anyway. Around this time a year is very slow in the industry so mechanics might try and sell you work. Other then oil changes I would suggest having Anti freeze swapped out ever few years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is that a common occurrence?

I'd have to go back through many pages of repairs to say exactly how often.  Calipers changed at least once each, and have replaced replacements. Lines don't all get bled out when doing a caliper. The only original brake line is the rt front.  Other than that, I don't change the fluid.  Some gets added each time I bleed the brakes when changing them.

Edited by Greybeard