IGNORED

Who needs a free crossbow? - UBNJ Membership Drive

The people who fought it are still part of UBNJ today, ask around. I was a member before, but have not been one since this happened.

I'd imagine from the UBNJ perspective, the question they would ask is what can they do NOW to better serve you as a member (and others whom may have left)?

They changed their position, they changed their charter, they changed to now support crossbows.

I can't speak for the UBNJ, but A LOT of people were against crossbows in the past.  Many didn't consider them to be part of "standard" archery equipment.  At the time they didn't qualify as such for hunting unless you were disabled.  There was a strong desire by the bowhunting community here in NJ to keep things status quo, and push crossbows to their own season or even gun season.  Why?  I guess "fear" of change or potentially compromising the current seasons by overharvesting deer?  Maybe making it "easier" to kill deer, especially the mature bucks during the rut?

Now, times have changed...crossbows have become increasing accepted and utilized by hunters.  Have deer been "easier" to kill by using crossbows...perhaps a little when it comes to executing the shot, but you still need to find and hunt them.  They are extremely effective tools though, and that's a great PRO for using them.  It also likely gets or keeps hunters involved who may otherwise not archery hunted (probably another fear of the past, in having "too many" hunters out there and not wanting to risk compromising the current archery situation where crossbows weren't permitted).  Ultimately times change and people (and organizations) evolve with them.  That's a good thing IMHO.

[quote name="Bowhunter444" post="162884" timestamp="1502224110". At the time of the writing of this charter crossbows were illegal so we had to fight it as written in our charter. Like i said it was before my time so cant go into total details as i personally dont know them.

Ken Olander

President UBNJ

I appreciate your response Ken, and I realize you weren't there at the time, so my comments aren't directed at you personally. I've been a member since 1980, and I continue to support (sometimes reluctantly) UBNJ, but I have to say, for most people who would read the explanation that the org "had" to fight xbows because it was in the charter, even though they were made legal prior to the ensuing battle, it looks pretty ridicules.

That being said, I really didn't intend to derail the efforts to recruit new members through the use of the crossbow, but once you responded you kinda opened the door! LOL

I actually applaud the efforts to expand the membership, as the lack of progress in this area has been an issue of mine for a long time. Hopefully your new leadership can expand the membership ranks so that UBNJ can effect some real change when and where needed.

I think Ken provided some good feedback. We have members in all 3 disciplines, crossbow, compound and recurves. Lets talk about moving forward and trying to keep and protect our hunting rights for the next generation. I know this debate was a hot button, but it is time to move forward gang.

We all have something we did not agree with in the past...heck I thought the Buffalo Bills would beat the Giants in the Superbowl :)

20604534_1606282926080090_55117308191389

Crossbows have been legal for years now fellas, let's just get over it. I have never hunted with one, and don't plan to, but if the next guy wants to, I say have at it! You can tell it's the off season around here lately..

Up next... rage vs. fixed heads and bait piles! 

It's good they changed their views on it, there was a lot of resistance to crossbows over the years by a number of groups.  As markbrit said, times and people's perspectives have changed.  Should view it as a positive sign of evolving with the times and the interests of hunters here in NJ. :)

Some just develop slower:-)

Crossbows have been legal for years now fellas, let's just get over it. I have never hunted with one, and don't plan to, but if the next guy wants to, I say have at it! You can tell it's the off season around here lately..

Up next... rage vs. fixed heads and bait piles!

The Rage:-) Edited by Lunatic

Did not intend to revive the debate, as a hunters ed instructor who was involved at the time, I just had to point out the hipocracy of the UBNJ. At the time, our ranks were on a downward trend. Since then our graduate numbers spiked and now have leveled out. We saw a big spike in women and young kids into the program. The UBNJ always seemed to me to be a good ole boys club. Maybe that has changed. Maybe not. Could be part of the reason they are having membership issues.

Did not intend to revive the debate, as a hunters ed instructor who was involved at the time, I just had to point out the hipocracy of the UBNJ. At the time, our ranks were on a downward trend. Since then our graduate numbers spiked and now have leveled out. We saw a big spike in women and young kids into the program. The UBNJ always seemed to me to be a good ole boys club. Maybe that has changed. Maybe not. Could be part of the reason they are having membership issues.

There was nothing wrong with your original post and I think the Op handled it well...as well.

People are resistant to change, even when is good for them. Your post points out we are intelligent human beings, capable of eventual change:-)

I only started hunting a few years ago.  I am a case in point about crossbows.  I would never have gotten into hunting if it weren't for them.  They were just familiar to me and didn't seem as daunting as learning how to property shoot a vertical bow. I live in PA and had no interest in only hunting 2 weeks a year during rifle season.  So, if you wanted more hunters...I'm one example of one that got into the sport because of crossbows.  

On the other hand, if you're like those old timers I run into in PA...I might take "your buck" during archery season.  But don't worry too much....I'm not that good at it.  :)