IGNORED

How many shoot 6 bucks a year?

TDietz

I will average about 2 bucks per year. I base my hunting on how many bucks I know of in an area and will only hunt a 3.5 y/o buck or older. Almost all of my spots I see WAY more bucks than does. I know there are does in areas where I'm not hunting but regardless I will not shoot a doe unless justified. Most all areas I hunt are northern public zones. Most places I hunt don't hold large amounts of deer but large populations of predators. I do not see many fawns in the fall, ashame. I let bucks walk on public land in hopes of having particular ones to hunt the year after. I see MANY of the same bucks the following year! It is possible to let them grow even on state land! I had 8 cameras out in January with over 35 different bucks documented all on public land but not one worthy of hunting. Time to kill some coyotes now!

I've had seasons, back before the decimation when there was an abundance of does, were I could have killed bucks by the dozens, and yet hardly been able to shoot a doe. I think sometimes you get so tuned in to hunting bucks, which is a different animal than a doe, that it's mostly what you're going to see.

Knowing where to kill a doe is as critical to the health of the herd as when to kill a doe. Thanks

without me, my rifle is nothing

[quote

6 bucks a year is certainly not achieved by many but 3 or 4 is, and more importantly, the fact that you can always get another tag makes it much easier to burn the tag (especially if it's about to "expire") on something you normally wouldn't shoot. That's the biggest point of reducing it to one tag: people will think twice about burning it on a 4 point. Many people will even pause before shooting a 2.5 yr old 8 point, which is where it really helps improve the age structure because right now, people are killing a lot of those just because they can get another tag. 

Ding Ding Ding

You are so right on with this. In the past I know myself and many others that passed on smaller bucks during the early season waiting for the right buck.Then during the final days shoot one that got the pass just not to eat the tag and knowing I can buy another. During the extended bow season it happens even more knowing that once gun season starts everything gets shot. That was in the past for me, over the last few years I have let many bucks walk and have eaten a lot of tag soup. I don't agree with the one buck tag but two is more in line with the length of hunting seasons we have. Last year I shot a few does and one nice 8 and this past year one EAB then nothing until a muzzleloader doe. I finished off the season with a nice mature 8. Being able to shoot 4 to 6 bucks is just not necessary and is just about the state making more $$.

Let me ask you, how many of the bucks are big or even 8 points or more? I don't want to offend anyone here but I absolutely hate it when a seasoned hunter shoots a little tiny buck. I mean ok I get it, if it's your first buck great or if that same buck just doesn't grow year after year then by all means but don't shoot one that is small and only 2 years old or whatever age. When those same guys shoot anything that moves they will wonder why the next few seasons why are there no bucks on the property....I guess to each their own I don't know

I do it for the same reason NJ fish and Game made bucks only their original deer management plan, to grow the herd. In some places the deer are pretty much shot out. Where I used to see 100 deer, now I see 10. 100 is way too many, but I'm sure the carrying capacity is more than 10. The state can't micro manage every tiny ecosystem, it's up to hunters to educate themselves, although I wish the state would help out on that front. There's places in the same zone couple miles away where there's a browse line. Personally, I try not to shoot what appears to be a "potential buck", I prefer to play god and shoot the "slower lookin ones".  For the record,I did MZ a doe this year.Thanks

"expire" is the dirty word. That's why I am proponent for 2 "Flexible" tags. Use them how you wish, or not at all.  A guy only does 6-day, no change for him. Avid bowhunter, doen'st have to think about his fall tag about to expire so shoot anything last day before permit bow... etc, etc, etc...

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Let me ask you, how many of the bucks are big or even 8 points or more? I don't want to offend anyone here but I absolutely hate it when a seasoned hunter shoots a little tiny buck. I mean ok I get it, if it's your first buck great or if that same buck just doesn't grow year after year then by all means but don't shoot one that is small and only 2 years old or whatever age. When those same guys shoot anything that moves they will wonder why the next few seasons why are there no bucks on the property....I guess to each their own I don't know

I'm just talking about the small ones they wouldn't normally shoot, if it's big, they would have shot it anyway. I would guess a large percentage of bucks shot the last week of "fall" bow are shot because the tag is going to expire. If it was the first week of permit bow, those bucks would not be shot.

I don't care if someone wants to shoot a 4 point, but they shouldn't be able to keep on shooting more of them. If want to use your tag on a small buck, good, your tag is gone, as long as you're happy with how you filled it. But don't keep on shooting multiple bucks and depriving another hunter of a deer that would make them happy.

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Only reason SOME guys arent shooting 6 bucks a season is because they DONT want to .

Many guys pass on well over 6 bucks a season having shot opportunites most nights.

But dont let those of us passing those bucks up fool you to think many guys arent shooting full limits yearly.

I know quite a few guys who are shooting 5 to 6 every season because to them its all about numbers, and they could care less about quality.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

In 40+ yrs hunting, best I've ever done was this year. 4 8 pts, including my biggest ever, & a really Scrubby 6 with a bad leg. I started passing scrubs about 10 yrs ago, taking does instead when I want meat. Went 8 pt of or better most of the time about 5 yrs ago. Passing small, being single & hunting a real lot def improve yr racks. Usually get 2-3 8 pts last couple of years . Going out winter bow later today. Passed on about 25 bucks this yr, including 6 or 7 6 pts. Two years ago, passed on a really nice 7 pt. Buddy said I should have taken but ended up with a better 8 pt a week or two later. Oh yeah, no apologies offered on this yr buck kill, so slam away if u like....

Edited by gregtpal

With all the varied opinions on Deer limits and what NJ should do and not do. Many posters may be talking about different states. Be helpful to note what state you are hunting. 

With all the reports of less Buck or Does to less deer overall. one only has to look at the yearly harvest reports. For each Season versus weather.

The reasons for numbers is more than over hunting. add in available food, habitat loss, Farming Practices, Deer move out if pressured, Finally, add in opportunities. Controlled Deer kill offs by farmers and townships.

If someone has more opportunities ( Time ) field and has access to good areas. the luxury to pick and choose is your choice.

If someone has less Time and limited resources hunt only 1 maybe 2 seasons which are the majority in NJ. the luxury to pick and choose is not an option.  

I was as proud of my first spike and doe as I was of my 10 pointer that was the icing on my days of hunting might add not the best tasting of them all. 

If anyone wants to get an idea of harvest data year to year NJDFAG has it all on their web site.  

Deer.gif

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

I'm just talking about the small ones they wouldn't normally shoot, if it's big, they would have shot it anyway. I would guess a large percentage of bucks shot the last week of "fall" bow are shot because the tag is going to expire. If it was the first week of permit bow, those bucks would not be shot.

I don't care if someone wants to shoot a 4 point, but they shouldn't be able to keep on shooting more of them. If want to use your tag on a small buck, good, your tag is gone, as long as you're happy with how you filled it. But don't keep on shooting multiple bucks and depriving another hunter of a deer that would make them happy.

There's twisted little people that take pleasure in "depriving" others. Sad

Only reason SOME guys arent shooting 6 bucks a season is because they DONT want to .

Many guys pass on well over 6 bucks a season having shot opportunites most nights.

But dont let those of us passing those bucks up fool you to think many guys arent shooting full limits yearly.

I know quite a few guys who are shooting 5 to 6 every season because to them its all about numbers, and they could care less about quality.

One can only hope that someday soon they grow up. and don't pass these traits on to the next generation.

But don't keep on shooting multiple bucks and depriving another hunter of a deer that would make them happy.

So..............  If its legal to do so, a hunter who might have different beliefs and/or goals should modify the way he/she hunts so that another hunter is "made happy"?  Did I read that correctly?