IGNORED

How many shoot 6 bucks a year?

TDietz

A lot of people on here don't I know that, and seems most feel that buck kills should be reduced to 1 or 2 a year. In my small world I don't see or know of anybody that shoots their limit of bucks in a year. Could be prevalent as all get out, I don't know. So, what's the story in your world?

without me, my rifle is nothing

I haven't shot a buck in 5 years.  I take a few does a year but only hold out for a nice, mature buck these days.

I know guys who shoot 2-3 mature bucks every year.  I also know a few guys who shoot anything with antlers and won't think twice about dropping 4-5 regardles sof what their headgear looks like 

I shot no deer in NJ this year.  Giving all does a pass on our Sparta zone 6 property because that local herd is way low as well as not having time to hunt much with the new business.  I shot a buck in NY and that was all.  I shot one buck, no does in NJ the year before and one buck in NY that year (fall '15).

I don't know anyone that has ever taken more than 2 personally here in NJ, although I'm sure there are some that take the full 6 with all the necessary licenses and permits.

I will take one or two bucks per year between NY and NJ. I will eat my tag if I don't see a buck I feel is worth taking also. So some years I won't take a buck. I try to take at least one or two does a year . I like a little doe late season they are gourmet eating.

I probably have averaged 1.25 bucks a year since about 1998.  Never more than 2... All with bow.  I seem to get "2" about every 4 years or so. I would be fine if it were reduced to just "1".   My whole argument about "2 flexible buck tags" is so that if you shoot a buck early October, you can keep hunting for that second one and for me, it would have to be bigger than the first one. Or if you choose to not shoot a buck in October, you don't lose a buck tag just because it's now permit bow.  So many times, I ate my regular bow tag, only to then tag out first or second day of permit bow, then miss the rest of the rut.

When I spoke to Carol Stanko about the 6 buck tags - she said it's practically a statistical zero for those NJ hunters that take more than 2-3 bucks a year. I think those that do, are the one's that fill both of their 6-day shotgun tags and also shoot a buck or two with bow.   I have often joked about going for the "jersey slam"  - which is to fill every single buck tag available, which actually seems quite "doable". I think it would be easier to fill all 6 tags, than it is to shoot a buck over 150".    However I would feel so greedy and dirty and wrong for doing it, so that will never happen and quite antithetical to my own personal goals, which is just to shoot a mature buck every season (one mature buck).

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Killing bucks doesn't destroy the herd nearly as bad as shooting tons of does

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."