IGNORED

Anyone ever build a smokehouse ????????

hammer4reel

I have an old steel kelvinator I was thinking about making into a smoker.

You are welcome to it, from what I understand they make a pretty good smoker.

The first 2 smokers I owned were made out of old refrigerators, I made a lot of jerky & sausage in them when I was running a deer processing business. These days I don't eat much smoked meat or fish (health reasons), I just use a commercial electric smoker now.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook:

I made one out of wood and worked flawlessly UNTIL ..... while smoking 9 pork butts for a fundraiser I had a grease fire while left unattended !! Needless to say I haven’t built another one YET , this spring I’d like to get one going . I used a turkey fryer burner and cast iron pan to burn the chips . Had a 3” chimney with witch cal and adjustable flue , It made jerky sticks the best and kept temps pretty consistent. I liked it because I could keep Do large batches and keep it far enough away from the heat source where things didn’t over cook . You could substitute an electric burner for your heat source . An excellent resource is Allied Kenco in Texas , they have a lot of parts and equipment.

Yes, you control the heat in the fire box.  Once you get savvay with it you can cold smoke stuff using an electric hot plate.  I have made lox this way.

Cold smoking is key to making a lot of very good things...like bacon.

Most smokers cannot do cold smoking, so being able to do that opens up a whole new world of smoking.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Cold smoking is key to making a lot of very good things...like bacon.

Most smokers cannot do cold smoking, so being able to do that opens up a whole new world of smoking.

Origionally bought the Bradleys I'm using because you could cold smoke with them.

Did some cheese once, but haven't done it again 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

only thing with cold smoking is meat and fish can spoil in hot months.

When I learned in 96 the danger zone was 4-140f.  This is why I only cold smoke in Jan-Feb when it is really cold.  I use a hot plate with an old pot and have a lid semi covering it.  Usually the smoke is round 110f, I like the outside temp to be below freezing.

I am watching this thread closely as I have always wanted to do this but always been worried about bears which are pretty thick on the ground where I am.

I currently use an old school hot smoker and govern the heat by a combination of the vents and the chimney cover.

I have used that smoker on trout, chickens, lamb, briskets, ribs (beef and pork) with great success.   

I have cooked for 100+ people using the old Texas style smoker which then doubles for grilling after the smoking is done for burgers, satays, squid, hotdogs etc.

Jakesbeard at least on this site can attest to the results attained.

A good sized firebox is key because the best results come from big logs that smolder instead of small branches that flame up.

I have even cured bacon using a variety of brines and followed with a while in the hot smoker - it has always rocked and people have never complained.

BUT.

I have always lusted after my own smokehouse to make things like Virginia style hams, lox and smoked cheeses etc in which need that cold smoke.

Edited by madeinuk

I am watching this thread closely as I have always wanted to do this but always been worried about bears which are pretty thick on the ground where I am.

I currently use an old school hot smoker and govern the heat by a combination of the vents and the chimney cover.

I have used that smoker on trout, chickens, lamb, briskets, ribs (beef and pork) with great success.   

I have cooked for 100+ people using the old Texas style smoker which then doubles for grilling after the smoking is done for burgers, satays, squid, hotdogs etc.

Jakesbeard at least on this site can attest to the results attained.

A good sized firebox is key because the best results come from big logs that smolder instead of small branches that flame up.

I have even cured bacon using a variety of brines and followed with a while in the hot smoker - it has always rocked and people have never complained.

BUT.

I have always lusted after my own smokehouse to make things like Virginia style hams, lox and smoked cheeses etc in which need that cold smoke.

eh your brisket was OK LOL,

would have liked it better if there was MORE 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

I don't see how a smokehouse would be targeted by bears.  I have a Weber charcoal grill and a Weber smoker.  Both are outside all year round.  I have bears in my back yard and they never touch them.  So help me understand how smokehouses become bear magnets.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I don't see how a smokehouse would be targeted by bears.  I have a Weber charcoal grill and a Weber smoker.  Both are outside all year round.  I have bears in my back yard and they never touch them.  So help me understand how smokehouses become bear magnets.

Up here anything that smells like food they come running.

When tracey had chickens here they acted like they were shopping .

Grab two and go.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING