IGNORED

Anyone ever build a smokehouse ????????

hammer4reel

It looks like a fun project if you are looking for one.

Personally I would never do it unless I was off the grid. This type of smoke would only make smoking more difficult for me since I have an electric smoker.

I would think bears would eventually get attracted to it because of the smell.

My dad had built several over the years, one at our house that was eventually taken down and re-assembled at a friend's house and a few others at other friend's homes.  

Basically in the same style in that picture.  One of them was actually all metal too.  

Sorry I can't be more helpful, other than telling you that those work great.  Good luck

why ??

​Thanks for input ??

Brick will last forever and cinderblock looks kind of cheap.   You can put a metal roof on the top.  If you are worried about bears put rebar in the brick and fill with mortar.  You can use 4 x 12 brick to make it solid.  The door can be made out of steel.  

When I was in high school and 1st year of college I ran a smoke house with the owner of a restaurant that was made similar to what I am describing, only much bigger.  

Brick will last forever and cinderblock looks kind of cheap.   You can put a metal roof on the top.  If you are worried about bears put rebar in the brick and fill with mortar.  You can use 4 x 12 brick to make it solid.  The door can be made out of steel.  

When I was in high school and 1st year of college I ran a smoke house with the owner of a restaurant that was made similar to what I am describing, only much bigger.  

Brick would def be more bear proof, 

I saw a few guys used brick for the bottom, but most designs I saw were wood on top.

figured masonary all the way up might hold too much heat.

But guess you can control that by the firebox ??

​more than likely will try and find an old wood stove instead of a barrel.

def going to do a lot of research 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Brick would def be more bear proof, 

I saw a few guys used brick for the bottom, but most designs I saw were wood on top.

figured masonary all the way up might hold too much heat.

But guess you can control that by the firebox ??

​more than likely will try and find an old wood stove instead of a barrel.

def going to do a lot of research 

Yes, you control the heat in the fire box.  Once you get savvay with it you can cold smoke stuff using an electric hot plate.  I have made lox this way.

The volume is cavernous in these old units, you can fit a bunch of meat for sure.

I’ll definitely be following the thread, I’ve always wanted to get into smoking/curing meat

The more stuff I make , adds to the drive to do ALOT more.

wonder where Sam has been as he was starting to be a smoked  food guru.

I know BH444 used to post a lot too

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

I will post some pics of Lox and smoked trout later this summer.  The Lox is brined in salt water then rinsed until all the salt is out then cold smoked (usually on a cold day easily regulate temps).

I love smoked fish. we used to save all the rib section cut offs from blackfish and stripers to smoke them.

was good way to use stuff that normally got tossed.

every spring I do about two dozen trout 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING