IGNORED

2017 Ohio recap - 2 BBD's, a true hunting adventure...

JHbowhunter

Congratulations on the bucks, I didn't read the story yet but I will when I have the time. As far as the Bowsite, I haven't been to that site for a while now, it started going downhill a few years ago, people just stopped posting on it

Congratulations on the bucks, I didn't read the story yet but I will when I have the time. As far as the Bowsite, I haven't been to that site for a while now, it started going downhill a few years ago, people just stopped posting on it

Met some good people on it (like here and NJH), but it has deteriorated. Used to be a lot of great knowledge sharing for all big game species from all around the country and globe...  It's just the same old recycled bs about best broadheads, hating on crossbows, etc...   Still - it's a great resource to connect with people beyond NJ borders... 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Congrats on a successful hunt. I just returned from Illinois for a few days, weather (temps) were not cooperating and the full moon and corn still standing all around me made hunting a little more difficult. I grazed a big 9 pt chasing a doe on my 2nd day. I had a big 10 pass by my stand that I couldn't find that morning due to some excessive vegetation still on the trees. I pulled the camera card the next day when I found the stand to see him walk past at 8am.  Rut activity was off and on. I had 2 encounters with some really good bucks on 2 trips so far. Heading back out in a few days for the gun season and looks like I will have a late season bow tag in my pocket. Temps were dropping as I was getting on the plane this morning. Things should be crazy towards the end of the week into next week out west. I did see a real nice buck 150+ bedded in the road next to a road kill doe. Crazy. Never seen that before

Since my buddy tagged out first, I think it was Friday the 3rd, he took a ride through the countryside, and spotted a huge rack several miles down the road... He stops and gets out and gets his video phone ready... Up jumps a doe at 12 yards, and then a 170+ class buck trotted off right on her tail. The buck never even looked at him, he was only going with the doe regardless of any danger....   While I technically saw every possible part of rut action other than a mature buck mount a doe (saw a spike pathetically try but he was sideways), overall it was sporadic at best - not full blown "that one day you gotta be in the woods" sort of action. And clearly, mature bucks were grabbing the ripe does first, which only makes sense. That's why I feel for mature bucks, quite often Halloween or a day or two either side is great, otherwise it's possibly better (mature bucks only) closer to tail end of rut. Right now, it's just past the full moon / fully synchronized rut... As the moon wanes, the action should increase until it gets to full saturation of does in estrous and everyone has a partner except for the dinks...(I always feel rut is like "musical chairs" for deer). That would be the official "lockdown"...   

Good luck out their Tom - you will get your chance at a giant no doubt!

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Great job Jack! I enjoyed the story on the other forum. I tend to agree with your theory of  the shot being a touch high (It looked spot on)  Its really humbling how tough and resilient these animals are. Congrats to both of you guys! Awesome trip! :up:  :up:

Mathews Halon

United Bowhunters of NJ

NWTF - Tri County Longbeards

New Jersey Outdoor Alliance