IGNORED

Latest Dropping Chestnut

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Is it one of the hybrids like the Dunstan if you know? 

I have 30 acres in Bradford County Pa. that Ive been planting chestnuts on for almost 40 years . Ive been collecting all varieties that I can get my hands on, including the Dunstan. My goal was to have an American type tree that dropped nuts much later than the traditional Chineese Chesnut and still be blight resistant. After collecting trees that looked promising we would collect the seed and plant them on another piece of property so as not to have to many varieties pollinating each other.

One of the main parents of this tree is the Douglas Hybrid from Red Creek NY., and a tree called Layeroka .

Interestingly the Layeroka is supposed to be pollen sterile , but I obtained this variety from a chestnut enthusiast in Canada and it's been anything but.

Another very exciting characteristic of this late bearing tree is that it has started to produce nuts at just seven years old!

Edited by FLDBRED-BDC

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

11 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

How long before the Dunstans produce nuts? I have 2 going on year 4 that I have grown from seed. They really put on some growth this year. They are about 5 to 6 ft tall now. 

A lot depends on site location and soil type , but mine started to produce nuts at 6-8 years. Now keep in mind there is a Big difference between producing a few nuts and having a good crop for wildlife . You probably won't see a decent "crop " until about 12 years !

My new 10 year forestry stewardship plan calls for reintroduction of chestnuts at some point.  I am working out those details with my forester now.  But I'm looking for the most closely tied genetics I can find to the original American chestnut strain.  

Unfortunately 99% percent of the available chestnuts will NOT do well in a forest type environment and that includes the Dunstan Chestnut. The Dunstan is a fine tree for wildlife, it's just not a forrest type tree . It and most others will do well in a orchard type setting like apple trees. It will grow in a forrest, it's just not capable of dominating the adjacent canopy like the American Chestnut could and develop a large mast crop.

The Douglas Hy-brid is one that can come close to the forest type tree you are looking for, but keep in mind as with any "seedling" results will vary as far as blight resistance and tree characteristics .

The American Chestnut Foundation now has the 15/16th's chestnut available for large scale reforestation projects . It is not widely available to the general public yet, but if you are working with the forestry Dept.  I am sure they would help. Contact Sarah Fitzsimmons .

Dan

1 hour ago, FLDBRED-BDC said:

The American Chestnut Foundation now has the 15/16th's chestnut available for large scale reforestation projects . It is not widely available to the general public yet, but if you are working with the forestry Dept.  I am sure they would help. Contact Sarah Fitzsimmons .

That makes me happy.  :up::up: