IGNORED

Smoked Venison Jerky

Hunter115522

So I like making jerky when I kill a deer, but have always used my dehydrator. Now that I own a mast built electric smoker, I want to try making it in there. Never having attempted this before, I have some questions.. For those of you that smoke jerky, do you put the meat directly onto the grates? Or hang it? Do you do a dry rub only, or a wet marinade? If a wet marinade, do you pat the meat dry before putting into the smoker? Any of tips, trips, advice for smoking jerky would be really appreciated! 

5 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I have no advice because I tried smoking twice and it wasn’t even close to how good it comes out in dehydrator 

Yeah I do love the way it comes out in the dehydrator too.. I have read some mixed things about smoking it, some people swear it comes out better in a smoker, and some people swear it comes out better in a dehydrator. Maybe I'll give it a shot to find out for myself.

11 minutes ago, jerseyhunter said:

I marinate , spray my grates with peal ease (purchased from the sausage maker) then lay out the meat .  Let dry in the smoker @ about 130 for an hour then apply smoke till desired doneness.

I think at only 130 you are risking getting sick unless you are using cure. If I remember 160 for several hrs is required.

I put mine right on the grate, hung them one time and a couple fell off and landed on the heat source, smoked meat with meat smoke, and turned out bad. 

I like the smoker better because i dont need to use cure, i physically take the meat above 165 degrees. I also dont marinade. I just season and smoke at 225 for ~2 to 3 hours. I go by feel. However this is for eating right off the grate, which is how fast it normally goes. 

IF im looking for long term storage, like for snacks during buck week, ill use cure and marinade.