IGNORED

Your luckiest hunt

JerseyJaysTaxidermy

What was your luckiest hunt? That buck that you are still shocked you got under the circumstances..

There are a few close calls- but I think this one is the top.

I was helping the landowner cut trees down all day in my camo... stunk like gas and chain oil.. jumped in the tree all sweaty and shot this buck at last light..tapatalk_1500506887428.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eh I'm gonna share my top 3..

So the 2nd is:

I junped this buck opening day on my way to my stand. He ran 20 yards and stood there- velvet hanging from his rack. I had no buck tag so i watched him walk off.

Last day of fall bow I decided I was gonna tag a buck.. and I jump in my stand and shortly later see this bucks antlers sticking out of some deep grass about 80 yards away.

He get up and chases does in and out of a small thicket across a small field. I called my dad and had him relocated closer to me so we can try and close in on him.

Right before dark he takes off after a doe and the hunt is pretty much over.

Almost.

Next thing I have a big doe stomping her foot 30 yards out. (I'm in a hedgerow between 2 fields- closest wood lot is a ticket st theend of my row about 100 yards.)

She snorts

I pick up my bow and prepare to draw.
All a sudden I hear a grunt and look down and hes coming in fast. I draw back and as he passes below me I smoke him.
If I didnt decide to shoot the doe I would have never been ready to draw and the buck probably would have went right on by too quick for my shot.FB_IMG_1500436807111.jpeg

Lastly- hunted a spot with my buddy and right before dark we decided i would walk the heavy field and push it to him to see what happens..

I climb down from a stand and he calls me and says he sees a buck chasing a doe in and out of the field..

I start heading to the far end and dont see him.. it's about 300 yards across the field and im walking down a mowed quadtrail with grass 4ft deep on both sides..

Were still on the phone and I say I see a sapling in the field corner shaking abruptly.. i know it's a buck rubbing the tree.

Intake off running down the trail to beat the fading daylight.. I closed in to 100 yards of the tree.. still on the phone my buddy said he doesnt see the buck.
As he says that a dow breaks onto my path, runs towards me. Then 20 yards out cuts over into the grass.
I kneel down, drop my phone And draw back my bow..

Just as suspected the buck pops out and followed her exact tracks.. I let it fly as he gets broadside and pick up my phone to hear my buddy still talking...
I cut him off with "I got him" lol

He was amazed. It was awesome. Top memorable hunts..

Here's the field and path I was hunting.. tapatalk_1500506904838.jpegFB_IMG_1500438331711.jpeg

My luckiest was my first buck. Ever hear the saying always trust your gut?  The day I harvested my buck, the wind told me to hunt the doe stand along a field edge. When I got to the property, I started walking towards the doe stand but got a really weird feeling in my stomach. After arguing with myself for a few minutes I decided to walk to my timber stand which was a travel route for the deer, even though the conditions were all wrong. By the time I got settled in the stand, the winds changed and that stand became prime. Less than two hours later my buck came walking right at me, turned and gave me broadside at 12 yards. He ran barely 20 yards and piled up. I’ve since learned to trust my gut on properties, trying to read the woods and let the woods read me. Got me this nice buck!

43D85C79-CDDB-4877-849B-AF9C43ECADBA.jpeg

I would say it was shotgun week 2003, the first year we had a bear hunt. The bear hunt was stopped by a federal judge on federal lands. All of bow season we saw this bear, on opening day of shotgun just before 7am a friend of mine saw the bear just over 50 yards, heading towards another friend, he saw it and called me to tell me it's heading towards me, sure enough she walks right under me......The next day the hunt was granted but I wasn't able to hunt until the last day.....It was very cold that morning, like 9*.....I saw a few does, then at 9am my friend calls by radio the bear is heading towards me, at 50 yards I fired and the bear was down. It took me 3 hrs to get that SOB out with no sled, old fashion dragging

16179273_10210933637169854_1089429575945205494_o.jpg

6 minutes ago, BHC said:

I would say it was shotgun week 2003, the first year we had a bear hunt. The bear hunt was stopped by a federal judge on federal lands. All of bow season we saw this bear, on opening day of shotgun just before 7am a friend of mine saw the bear just over 50 yards, heading towards another friend, he saw it and called me to tell me it's heading towards me, sure enough she walks right under me......The next day the hunt was granted but I wasn't able to hunt until the last day.....It was very cold that morning, like 9*.....I saw a few does, then at 9am my friend calls by radio the bear is heading towards me, at 50 yards I fired and the bear was down. It took me 3 hrs to get that SOB out with no sled, old fashion dragging

16179273_10210933637169854_1089429575945205494_o.jpg

Nice one!! Plus you were a few years younger back then. :up:

We had spotted a really nice Moose in the spotting scope and decided to start the long treck to him. After about an hour we reached the area he was and saw him chasing a female. Brad and myself had to make s quick decision weather it was one we saw. It was beautiful but we thought the one we saw was a bit bigger so we passed and continued on and that’s when we ran into this one which was a lot BIGGER then one we passed up. Come to find out the one we passed up was the one we were after and this one showed up just by luck. 

AB422C71-DAEF-479C-A270-828A63F3AD45.jpeg

Edited by Live to Hunt

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

DAMN!  LTH

Way back when I was in HS I pulled into the farm for an afternoon muzzleloader hunt.  Got all my stuff ready and slammed the truck door closed.  As I looked up, a six-pointer ran off the ridge and was running across a cut corn field right for me.  I capped the gun and shot it at 20 yards when it slammed on the breaks.  Gutted it, loaded it, and was back home within 15 minutes.

When i was hunting Dukes i jumped a really nice buck walking to my stand, it ran into an open field. I kinda knew it would try to go to one of three little woodlots that were in this vast area of fields. I took a chance by getting back into the truck and driving to the other side of the property where the woodlots were. Trying to get to the stand in the wood lot i saw antler tips out in the field moving quick. I hunkered down in a little drainage, i barely got the arrow knocked and the buck walked by me 15yrds away and stopped looking the other way. The thunderhead smacked him, he ran in the direction that i came in from, stopped and fell over. The whole hunt from start of jumping the buck to standing over his dead body couldn’t have been more than 20 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

My first hunt ever I got up in the tree around 2pm  in October I wasn't even done getting myself all set up and a 4 pointer walked right under my stand I slowly got my cross bow ready and was able to get a shot off but my nerves got to me. Hunt lasted for about 20 minutes before I got down.  Shot wound up being  too far back hit gut and liver but I found the bolt saw it had gut matter on it and saw the way the deer reacted so I went home and had one of the worst night sleeps I've ever had and found the buck not far off the next morning. ...  

I climbed up in my stand, pulled the bow up,looked up and saw a 18" wide six pointer coming my way I just had enough time to nock an arrow and killed him at 8 yards. Luckiest shotgun buck was during a drive, 5 bucks came by and I fired three round and missed, thats when realized I left the rest of my shells in the truck,I ran back to the truck which was parked in a field, grabbed some shells. As I shut the door and turned around  all five bucks were running straight towards me, I reloaded quick and shot the lead buck which slid in the snow half way under the truck

Edited by bucky

I was hunting last day of shotgun season.  I was seeing a lot of second rut activity this morning.  Seen this buck chasing a group of does midmorning at about 150 yards but offered no shot.  Really wanted this buck because of its nonypical rack and it’s obvious old age.  I had an obligation that day and had to get out of tree at noon the latest.  Well I was late and didnt want to leave tree because it was such a perfect day out.  At 1230pm I started climbing down the tree.  I unloaded my knight rifle placing my disc(cap) in my front pocket where I always keep one spare wh8le hunting.  About midway down the tree, those four does came running past me stopping about 40 yards downhill.  I heard loud grunts coming over the hill and sure enough the nontypical came over the hill trailing those does.  The buck stopped at 50 yards looking at me then looking at those does.  He wanted to get past me in the worst way but he didn’t know what his next move.  I unslung my gun from my back, shouldered the gun, aimed and shot .... CLICK!  I was so focused on the buck I forgot the gun was unloaded.  I fiddled around my pocket grabbing a disc and had trouble loading the gun with my cold hands and hanging half off the tree.  Finally got the gun loaded and the buck was still there staring back and forth at me and the does.  Shouldered the gun and bang, the buck dropped in its tracks.  As with most guys, girls got this buck in trouble!  Me “luckiest” buck ever, lol!!

4B09C270-AA41-404D-8342-81C6BFC7871E.jpeg

Edited by Gobblengrunt