IGNORED

NJ Porcupine

BHC

I remember the first and only time I saw a porcupine. It was in the Newark Watershed. I was bow hunting, standing on the ground when one walked toward me. As a City Boy, I had no clue. All I knew was that Jungle Habitat closed that year and there were rumors of them releasing animals into the wild. It looked like a small Bear to me. They are much bigger than they look in pictures. The actual body is small. The quills make it look huge. Scared the hell out of me. :hmmmer:

Edited by archer36

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I remember the first time I saw a porcupine. It was in the Newark Watershed. I was bow hunting, standing on the ground when one walked toward me. As a City Boy, I had no clue. All I knew was that Jungle Habitat closed that year and there were rumors of them releasing animals into the wild. It looked like a small Bear to me. They are much bigger than they look in pictures. The actual body is small. The quills make it look huge. Scared the hell out of me. :hmmmer:

I thought the same thing when I saw one 30+ years ago on my friends property near Blairstown. I was sitting in a blowdown during deer season and not used to hunting in those "big woods" up there and everything has a different perspective. From a distance coming down the hill , I thought it was a small bear. The next experience was 15 years ago at the sane friends, went up for dinner and their dog came in with a mouth full of quills. Fun evening to say the least!

Pesky critters at my hunting camp in PA.  They would eat my stand almost every year.  They love the pressure treated woods.  I’ve heard it gets them high.  Droppings all in my stand.  

Got smart put tin sides up.  Keeps em from climbing in and tearing up the floor as well.  

Maintaining the stand is an undertaking being it’s deep into the woods/ swamp with no Atv access and sgl on other side which is illegal to use Atv.  So I had to make a choice put in the work and do it for ease of future maintenance.

When we still owned the property in the Roscoe area, my cousin built a stand with a roof, just before daylight a Porcupine was on the roof then attempted to get into the stand with him, he unloaded his .35 remington...🤣🤣🤣