IGNORED

Sous Vide

Hunter115522

I love it. You get perfect chef temp all the way through and then sear it. Comes out perfect.

I salt the steak and vacuum seal it.

Let it sit in the fridge overnight for the salt to penetrate the meat.

I cook it at 131* for 3 hours. (Medium Rare)

Take it out, pat it dry, baste it in melted butter, and put it back in the fridge for 10 minutes to stop the cooking.

Take it out and sear it with a torch.

Slice it, apply fresh cracked pepper, and enjoy.

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

2 minutes ago, JimmyScags said:

I love it. You get perfect chef temp all the way through and then sear it. Comes out perfect.

I salt the steak and vacuum seal it.

Let it sit in the fridge overnight for the salt to penetrate the meat.

I cook it at 131* for 3 hours. (Medium Rare)

Take it out, pat it dry, baste it in melted butter, and put it back in the fridge for 10 minutes to stop the cooking.

Take it out and sear it with a torch.

Slice it, apply fresh cracked pepper, and enjoy.

Great info, thanks! 

Sous vide is great. Venison cooked at 132 degrees for several hours, then sear.

One of my favs is venison backstrap cooked sous vide. Look at the color - pink from end to end! Delicious:

And if you are worried about the plastic, you can purchase the food grade wrappers. But honestly, we all have so much plastic in our bodies already, cooking sous vide once in a while is going to be trivial. Think  of everything you eat or drink that comes packaged in plastic, not to mention all the crazy preservatives. It's too late for us :) 

Here's a couple of my earlier posts and my finished venison sous vide meals:

some venison steaks I also cooked sous vide..

The issue I have with it is you can’t throw a steak or back strap on the grill and eat 10 minutes later. Everything takes hours.  Plus the fact you’re cooking it in plastic doesn’t sit well with me. Just another one of those fads. 

I've been sous viding my backstraps for about 8 years now.  That is the only way I will cook them.  When butchering and vacuum sealing, I drop in butter, spices, and marinades and then vacuum seal the meat so that when thawed, I can simply sous vide and quickly pan sear.  

"God bless America and the 2nd Amendment!" 

www.NorthJerseyMike.com

UBNJ Member

OLM Knights of Columbus, Kinnelon, NJ

17 minutes ago, NorthJerseyMike said:

I've been sous viding my backstraps for about 8 years now.  That is the only way I will cook them.  When butchering and vacuum sealing, I drop in butter, spices, and marinades and then vacuum seal the meat so that when thawed, I can simply sous vide and quickly pan sear.  

great idea !!!  I never thought of that ..

10 hours ago, Hunter115522 said:

Who does it?

Other than the grill it's the only way I make steaks, I've tried fish and chicken but I don't see an advantage. Steaks are more tender and as others have said perfectly cooked.  The other advantage is you can "hold" the steak until everything else is cooked or in my case until my wife decides to come home for work and then it's literally 5 minutes to sear the steaks and put them on the table, no "resting" of the steaks is required for sous vide.  I also use it on venison backstraps, wouldnt cook them any other way! 

Oh I almost forgot BEST corn on the cob I've ever had...sous vide.

I own two devices. 

1 minute ago, Gman said:

Other than the grill it's the only way I make steaks, I've tried fish and chicken but I don't see an advantage. Steaks are more tender and as others have said perfectly cooked.  The other advantage is you can "hold" the steak until everything else is cooked or in my case until my wife decides to come home for work and then it's literally 5 minutes to sear the steaks and put them on the table, no "resting" of the steaks is required for sous vide.  I also use it on venison backstraps, wouldnt cook them any other way! 

Oh I almost forgot BEST corn on the cob I've ever had...sous vide.

I own two devices. 

Good info thanks. I was looking at the Anova 1000 watt. 

Been doing it for years now and it has its pros and cons and is like any other tool in the kitchen. Sous vide meat looses a little of that added flavor other techniques of cooking give. You basically just taste the meat. Which in itself isn’t a bad thing but charcoal grilled meat has a taste, pan seared and roasted meat have a taste unique to the method. Sous vide has an interesting way of cooking things even though it’s only cooking to a certain temp. You can cook a steak in two hours and you’ll have a steak but take the same steak and cook it for 12 hours and it’s going to taste like a roast and be more broken down.

My family always does boneless leg of lamb for certain holidays every year and we always did it on the Ronco rotisserie for couple hours, it came out ok and I would go home with a big bag of leftover to make sandwiches with during the week. I’ve been Sous Vide in the past four years at 133 for 18-20 hours then torch it and now it gets devoured and I get no more leftovers! It cooks it to that med rare but same time cooking for that many hours it breaks down the connective tissues and everything else. 

There’s a great YouTube channel that he explains and experiments on all kinds of different ways of doing it. Check it out. 
Sous Vide Everything on YouTube 

23 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

Been doing it for years now and it has its pros and cons and is like any other tool in the kitchen. Sous vide meat looses a little of that added flavor other techniques of cooking give. You basically just taste the meat. Which in itself isn’t a bad thing but charcoal grilled meat has a taste, pan seared and roasted meat have a taste unique to the method. Sous vide has an interesting way of cooking things even though it’s only cooking to a certain temp. You can cook a steak in two hours and you’ll have a steak but take the same steak and cook it for 12 hours and it’s going to taste like a roast and be more broken down.

My family always does boneless leg of lamb for certain holidays every year and we always did it on the Ronco rotisserie for couple hours, it came out ok and I would go home with a big bag of leftover to make sandwiches with during the week. I’ve been Sous Vide in the past four years at 133 for 18-20 hours then torch it and now it gets devoured and I get no more leftovers! It cooks it to that med rare but same time cooking for that many hours it breaks down the connective tissues and everything else. 

There’s a great YouTube channel that he explains and experiments on all kinds of different ways of doing it. Check it out. 
Sous Vide Everything on YouTube 

Will check out that YouTube channel now. Thanks for the info.