IGNORED

Vacuum Sealer bag question

FeniQuest217

Got a vacuum sealer for xmas. Mother in law got me a Foodsaver - she also got me a meat grinder to. For those wondering i really only expect to put 1, MAYBE 2 deer a year thru it.

In any case, I was wondering about the size of the bags you use. The food saver comes with a variety but I'm curious as to when you're all done butchering what size bags you use for your cuts and what have you.

Whatever kind of bags you get, always fold over the edge about two inches before you put the meat inside of the bag. That way when you fold it back, the inside edge will not be moist and the bag will seal correctly. 

Edited by Tarhunt

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

I use quart bags.

Buying in the roll, doubles the seals you will be doing. They do burn out after time. But the bigger issue is cool down between seals. If the strip is too hot, when you pull vacuum, you won't get the bag down all the way and the bag will start sealing. You will have to make your bags, let it cool down. Or make and vacuum as you go. Both a time consuming. I stopped buying rolls years ago. 

I grind by burger, weigh out in 1.25 meatballs. I put on a sheet and freeze overnight. Then bag and seal the next day. No blood to worry about in the seal

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

I have various size rolls.  You need different sizes so you don't waste them. For example, I use the small ones for jerky. I'll use the medium size for burger and large for whole muscle sized meat. Buying rolls gives you more flexibility in the size bag you make and less waste. You don't need to buy "original" Foodsaver bags which are expensive. There are lots of options on Amazon and other stores like Cabelas. I never had any issues with any that I bought. 

18 hours ago, Tarhunt said:

Whatever kind of bags you get, always fold over the edge about two inches before you put the meat inside of the bag. That way when you fold it back, the inside edge will not be moist and the bag will seal correctly. 

Can you explain this? I sometimes have a problem with my seals giving up in the freezer. I'm just not exactly sure what you mean. Thanks. 

12 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

Can you explain this? I sometimes have a problem with my seals giving up in the freezer. I'm just not exactly sure what you mean. Thanks. 

If the bags have moisture/blood on the inside where the seal takes place then they won’t properly seal. 
Essentially it heat welds the 2 layers of the bag together and if moisture is in between the 2 layers the weld can’t take place.

Does that make sense?

15 minutes ago, Black Bear Bowhunter said:

If the bags have moisture/blood on the inside where the seal takes place then they won’t properly seal. 
Essentially it heat welds the 2 layers of the bag together and if moisture is in between the 2 layers the weld can’t take place.

Does that make sense?

Exactly. There are ways to combat the moisture issue. Partially freezing the meat or putting a piece of paper towel in to absorb the liquid. 

14 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

Food Saver claims you can only use their bags - so essentially im assuming ALL vacuum sealers will claim to use their bags but theyre al full of shit i suppose huh?

I have used MANY different bags and never had an issue. 

26 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

i just wipe the seal area with a paper towel if it has anything that would prevent a good seal

Sometimes, the liquid gets sucked up during the vacuum process, not there at the start. 

Buy an assortment of sizes. You will be surprised what you will end up using your vacuum sealer for

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, Black Bear Bowhunter said:

Does that make sense?

I get the issue, I was more questioning Tarhunts method of combating it.