IGNORED

What to do for ticks

DarthWaderTroj

There is a company you can ship your clothes to and they will treat it - it will be just like you bought those pre-treated clothes. I forget the details, but I do remember it was expensive.

See attached PDF for what I use.

This is what most people use - it's cheap but effective. If you buy the Sawyer's stuff, it's a rip off IMO. You can only spray about a shirt and a pair of pants for something like $25 but for that same price you can make gallons of the stuff and spray all your clothes for a year or more.

Depending on the concentration of Permethrin you buy (36.8%, 13.3%, 10%) will depend on how much water to mix with it.  I just updated this PDF - it has updated links and I adjusted the prices (cost went up a bit since I last bought this stuff.)

@DarthWaderTroj I know you just got a dog... You can also mix it to a concentration for pets - they have instructions for application on dogs IIRC. Or you can buy ready-made Permethrin solution for dogs... look up "Permethrin" on Chewy.com.

Permethrin Dilution.pdf

10% Permethrin from tractor supply(32oz bottle for about $20).  Mix 1oz permethrin to 19oz water in a spray bottle (8oz to a gl for bigger sprayers) is the max .5% strength that you will also get in a bottle of sawyers.  I'll use this strength for the first soaking, then use 1oz to around 24-26oz water for wetting them after a few washes to keep up the full strength. Doesn't smell as strong when using more water, and still works. Spray clothes and let fully dry, then wash them and the smell will be gone.  Dog sprays have .32 to .35% permethrin.  I didn't do the math but would guess around 30oz water to 1 oz for dogs.  32 bottles for the price of 2 or 3 bottles of sawyers

20220416_130019.jpg.aca9199130059fb3d1efd20b165003dd.jpgI have also used 6oz to a gallon with same results. I spray the shyzza out out my stuff. The spray cans are a ripoff

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

On 11/10/2023 at 1:44 AM, chenrossi said:

Sawyers is the way to go, best stuff out there, it lasts, and you won’t smell like a permethrin bomb. 

The active ingredient in sawyers is permethrin at .5%.   I'd rather know my inert ingredient is mostly water rather than whatever sawyers uses to mask the odor.  Permethrin is a plant extract and I haven't had a deer react badly to the smell.  Washing clothes in baking soda after spraying them takes care of any odor.  Difference is with the cost.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

The active ingredient in sawyers is permethrin at .5%.   I'd rather know my inert ingredient is mostly water rather than whatever sawyers uses to mask the odor.  Permethrin is a plant extract and I haven't had a deer react badly to the smell.  Washing clothes in baking soda after spraying them takes care of any odor.  Difference is with the cost.

And it's an effin ripoff cost wise. I haven't bought a spray can in almost 10 years

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

So here’s another view from someone that is out of doors most every day. I use nothing. Pyrethrin works, but I am not interested in chemicals on my clothes against my body. I simply come home, strip to my underwear in the laundry room, toss clothes into the dryer for a short time, and take a hot shower. I’m 58 and have never had Lyme’s. As @Nomadsaid, it is imperative that you thoroughly check yourself for ticks.