IGNORED

Anybody still Pheasant hunting in January?

JD48

I may try it with the senior citizen setter whose in her 11th season. For many years we had a blast chasing wary leftovers through February….but since Rockport Rockets are no longer released…our “off the beaten path” spots no longer seem to have leftover birds. Every year we try and hope for the best but it’s been a dry late season for past few years. If you find the right cover like big fields that they can run thru yet stay concealed…they can be found. One yr we limited  in January on a warm winter day and their crops were full of grasshoppers!!  I wish I was closer to Flatbrook…the cover is there…& always see hens during the late muzzy season. 

Edited by Bonefreak

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I will be out a time or 2. But I'm starting training another dog. My sister dog 

wich is from the same litter as Winnie.  I started her last year but couldn't handle 2 at a time.  Gonna start again n see what happens

Good luck with the other dog

I usually hunt thru January. Use to find pheasants on a regular basis in January. However, like Bonefreak said the last few years have not found any. Was at Colliers around noon today with my GSP. No action. Saw one other hunter with 2 dogs. He saw nothing either. There were non hunters again in the front field. Don’t know what they were doing.

8 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

I usually hunt thru January. Use to find pheasants on a regular basis in January. However, like Bonefreak said the last few years have not found any. Was at Colliers around noon today with my GSP. No action. Saw one other hunter with 2 dogs. He saw nothing either. There were non hunters again in the front field. Don’t know what they were doing.

Saw a guy about 9am without a dog have a couple cockbirds walking down the road back to his truck. 

1 hour ago, OldPiney Woods said:

I was at c.m. (9 - 11:30) fat old guy with small britt, no birds, no shots, still had a good time

Got some chukar to train my dogs at Whittingham WMA.  Not the greatest day to hunt with it being warm.  My dogs still had a great time. 

There's two chukars I didn't bag because it was too close to the road.  They are at the Fredon Springdale rd parking lot and the other one is was by the big rocks.  

5 minutes ago, ollin said:

Got some chukar to train my dogs at Whittingham WMA.  Not the greatest day to hunt with it being warm.  My dogs still had a great time. 

There's two chukars I didn't bag because it was too close to the road.  They are at the Fredon Springdale rd parking lot and the other one is was by the big rocks.  

I assume by to close to road means u would have shot accrossed it if u did shoot