IGNORED

Dog medical Insurance

Had a policy a few years back before we had to say goodbye to my dog.  I think it all depends on the policy.  Have to really dig into the policy to understand limits, coverage, etc,. Then measure those costs against what you pay for the premiums versus just paying out of pocket.  The policy we had was garbage, but I’m sure there is decent coverage out there.  I bet @not on the rugmight have a lead or two.  

1 minute ago, Zone50BugNerd said:

Had a policy a few years back before we had to say goodbye to my dog.  I think it all depends on the policy.  Have to really dig into the policy to understand limits, coverage, etc,. Then measure those costs against what you pay for the premiums versus just paying out of pocket.  The policy we had was garbage, but I’m sure there is decent coverage out there.  I bet @not on the rugmight have a lead or two.  

Thanks, looked at the one from the AKC, a lot of complaints, took the dog to the vet yesterday, 3 shots, nails clipped, wellness exam, $459.00

5 minutes ago, JD48 said:

Thanks, looked at the one from the AKC, a lot of complaints, took the dog to the vet yesterday, 3 shots, nails clipped, wellness exam, $459.00

Most shots that you get at the vet can be bought at tractor supply.

Vets know they got you and you are gonna do whatever needs to be done for your pet but the prices they charge are crazy. 
We had to get our cat surgery for dislocated hip it was $5000. My wife used some type of credit card that is for pets. They put you on a plan and give you certain amount of time to pay can’t remember if it was 12 or 18 months It worked out fine. As long as it’s paid off by end of term you don’t pay interest. 

I can find out the name of it if you want. 

3 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

Vets know they got you and you are gonna do whatever needs to be done for your pet but the prices they charge are crazy. 
We had to get our cat surgery for dislocated hip it was $5000. My wife used some type of credit card that is for pets. They put you on a plan and give you certain amount of time to pay can’t remember if it was 12 or 18 months It worked out fine. As long as it’s paid off by end of term you don’t pay interest. 

I can find out the name of it if you want. 

Thanks, don't think i need it

I was in the pet industry for 9 years. I had pet insurance rep that would set up at store a few times a year. I spoke to him about if it was worth it. His response was simple.  It is not worth it until you need it.  He said same thing someone else in the thread said. You can get some of those shots at tractor supply or a petco.  It is worth it for serious issues but not routine maintenance of your dog imo.  But once pet is diagnosed with serious issue they will not insure your pet. 

I know my fiancé has it for her dogs in case of catastrophic stuff like back surgery. She’s an ER veterinarian but won’t operate on our own pets 😑. It was really expensive from what I remember and you still lay out the money upfront and then they reimburse you. If anything happens to my gsp my plan is to sob until she takes care of it. 😂 

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

7 hours ago, Bones said:

Check your county animal shelter, mine offers a clinic a couple days a week you just pay for the shots u want at cost, they offer spay and neuter and microchip at a very reasonable price as well.

Thanks, town does offer rabies shots once a year

I’m torn on this. When I got my Jack Russell years ago, I bought the insurance. The younger the cheaper. My cheap ass gets rid of it about 5 years in. Well as soon as I get rid of it, I come home from a night shift, and she isn’t there. I find her hiding in the basement quivering. Straight to the animal hospital. A few days and a bunch of tests later I leave with a $2500 bill and a “dog tweaked her back and just needs rest”. Lol. Fast forward two years, same thing happens, another $2500 lol. Now I know about her back problems. After the first incident, I looked into going back to her insurance, and it was twice as expensive. Over $100/month. I figured it wasn’t worth it at that point. 

I do have friends who have insurance through work, it’s super cheap, it’s an add on to their regular health insurance. And they have been happy with it. I have seen very few employers who offer it though. My employer does not.