IGNORED

handgun permit delays?

I put in for a handgun permit almost 2 weeks ago, In the past it's taken no more than 7 days to almost two weeks. My servicing police dept are the state police. Anyone else having a longer than usual wait for a permit? If so I'm wondering if it's due to the carry permit applications that are also being processed on top of the handgun purchase permit.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

3 minutes ago, hostak126 said:

I put in for a handgun permit almost 2 weeks ago, In the past it's taken no more than 7 days to almost two weeks. My servicing police dept are the state police. Anyone else having a longer than usual wait for a permit? If so I'm wondering if it's due to the carry permit applications that are also being processed on top of the handgun purchase permit.

Could be a few things.  Officer that handles may be on vacation.  May be an influx of people wanting permits because now they can get a carry permit.  As for carry permits my town had 12 as of last week.

37 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Could be a few things.  Officer that handles may be on vacation.  May be an influx of people wanting permits because now they can get a carry permit.  As for carry permits my town had 12 as of last week.

I agree. Most PDs have a single officer assigned to those tasks. The new CC influx must be keeping them busy and there is a lot more paperwork with those than a pistol permit. Now add summer vacations and that’s likely what’s causing the delays. 

10 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I agree. Most PDs have a single officer assigned to those tasks. The new CC influx must be keeping them busy and there is a lot more paperwork with those than a pistol permit. Now add summer vacations and that’s likely what’s causing the delays. 

I was surprised that it was 12 in my town thought for sure it would be more.  But with the qualification classes filling up quickly people might be waiting.  I was told once prints are done its fairly fast.  Hopefully with the renewal bs for fid cards they streamline it.

My thought is since we have to renew (bs) but put an endorsement on fid cards for the carry permit like a motorcycle endorsement on a driver's license. (Yes I know the 2 don't compare) but If we must renew in this bs state make it streamlined.  Normal fid renew 10 years like they want with carry every 5.  Wich thus renewal bs is just a money grab as if you get charged with certain things it flags the ID card.  Much easier now that most are electronic.

A right delayed is a right denied.

Remember when we all discussed the idea of another permit even though you already had your NJFID card? What is wrong with just the normal NICS check and not the NJFID or pistol permit?

You go through a back ground check each time you purchase.

Make a note, document, and possibly start discussions with an attorney. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

1 minute ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Remember when we all discussed the idea of another permit even though you already had your NJFID card? What is wrong with just the normal NICS check and not the NJFID or pistol permit?

We got the big win being able to get a carry permit.  The fight for our 2a rights is not over.  First and foremost every person that owns a handgun should apply for a carry permit even if they don't intend to carry. This will help us fight down the road when renewals are taking longer than the 60 days allowed.  2 the more carry permits issued will prove law abiding citizens are not the issue and it will take credibility out of the wild west bs the left is pushing. 3 those that have been lied to who know little or nothing about guns will realize they have been fed bs and more inclined to join our fight.  Once people start to flood with complaints of how long its taking their hands will be forced.

1 hour ago, hostak126 said:

I just got mine last week, took 42 days. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

My delays recently haven't been so much with my local PD, but more so with the state/NJSP side of the process.

Case in point: I purchased a pistol at the end of June, the NICS took 10 days (supposedly they were backed up due to Juneteenth and 4th of July holidays). The NICS came back 2 days after my permit to purchase expired so I had to get apply for a new one. My local PD had the permit back in 6 business days, which isn't too bad, then it took state system 4 days to update and release the e-permit after I paid for the permits. So because of delays in processing on the state's end I had to spend an extra $23 for permit and processing fees on top of causing a 25 day delay in getting my pistol.

I just don't see why the permit to purchase has an expiration date if they're going to do a NICS check at time of purchase.

In regards to the NICS check itself, I really think if the state is going to charge a $15/16 fee for the service then they should at least abide by the "Instant" part of the check. For reference my last shotgun purchase in DE earlier this year took 17 minutes for the NICS.

Edited by DJ0808

21 minutes ago, DJ0808 said:

if the state is going to charge a $15/16 fee for the service then they should at least abide by the "Instant" part of the check.

You assume the state WANTS to grant us permission to own firearms. It's the opposite - they want to do everything they can to AVOID putting firearms in law-abiding citizens hands. Anything they can do to delay, they will do. "We know the law says you must be granted the permit within 30 days, but because we don't want to allow you to have it (even though we are forced grudgingly to eventually allow you), we are going to take longer than that. And we are allowed by the courts to do this."

1 hour ago, thefirstndsecond said:

A NICS check is only going to show and arrests in state or out of state. There is a lot more to the background investigation than just the fingerprinting and NICS check at point of purchase

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."