IGNORED

Reel Recommendation

Integracingsr

11 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I am a shimano guy. Never had a bad experience w them. I can't say that about Penn.....Blew up many baitrunner style Penns fishing for bass 

Penn fathoms would pull your Toyota backwards lol.

now if you say you blew up original spin fishers spinning reels that’s a different story .

The new spin fisher live liners are awesome .

.Shimano Thunnus was a huge let down when they came out .

‘The old graphite body shimano bait runners lasted twice as long 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

15 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Penn fathoms would pull your Toyota backwards lol.

now if you say you blew up original spin fishers spinning reels that’s a different story .

The new spin fisher live liners are awesome .

.Shimano Thunnus was a huge let down when they came out .

‘The old graphite body shimano bait runners lasted twice as long 

Honestly, not sure what model. They were a bait runner spinning model and ABSOLUTELY sucked. Turned me off to Penn reels. I have 2 thunnis bait runner reels and have treated me right. I don't care for van staal either. I buy what doesn't fail and have yet to have a shimano fail. I love my stellas, talicas, & twin power reels. The next conventional I will buy will be a alutecnos 30 w gorilla 2s.....nicest 30 I ever saw.

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

Honestly, not sure what model. They were a bait runner spinning model and ABSOLUTELY sucked. Turned me off to Penn reels. I have 2 thunnis bait runner reels and have treated me right. I don't care for van staal either. I buy what doesn't fail and have yet to have a shimano fail. I love my stellas, talicas, & twin power reels. The next conventional I will buy will be a alutecnos 30 w gorilla 2s.....nicest 30 I ever saw.

Vs not the smoothest but so far I've had it under water a bunch of times abd kids dropped it in sand no issues.  I think the durability and ability to submerge makes up for the smoothness.  But I do a good amount of fishing from jetties Beach and wading

4 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Putting a 700 dollar reel on a 79 dollar rod is just plain silliness .

and won’t give 1/2 the benifit of what the reel is capable of 

Didn’t read fully on type of rod he was putting it on just was saying what was working for me.. I would go with a stradic or Saragossa and just keep up with annual maintenance 

35 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Vs not the smoothest but so far I've had it under water a bunch of times abd kids dropped it in sand no issues.  I think the durability and ability to submerge makes up for the smoothness.  But I do a good amount of fishing from jetties Beach and wading

I am only speaking about my experiences....maybe vs are not made for tuna. Anyway, broke the handle off of two vs and waited weeks for replacement parts. I am very brand loyal and stick to what works for me. I am not exaggerating....have never had a problem w any shimano reel, ever. I have a Buddy has the daiwa saltiga and says it's far better than the stella. I suppose my experiences are mostly geared to what holds up to big bluefin (spinning) reels. I think there are four: Penn slammer iv, shimano stella,  accurate twin spin, & daiwa saltiga. I hear you can't beat the value of the penn, as it's $250. All others are closer to $1000. The accurate is too heavy. Never tried the daiwa. Stella never failed me yet. 

9 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I am only speaking about my experiences....maybe vs are not made for tuna. Anyway, broke the handle off of two vs and waited weeks for replacement parts. I am very brand loyal and stick to what works for me. I am not exaggerating....have never had a problem w any shimano reel, ever. I have a Buddy has the daiwa saltiga and says it's far better than the stella. I suppose my experiences are mostly geared to what holds up to big bluefin (spinning) reels. I think there are four: Penn slammer iv, shimano stella,  accurate twin spin, & daiwa saltiga. I hear you can't beat the value of the penn, as it's $250. All others are closer to $1000. The accurate is too heavy. Never tried the daiwa. Stella never failed me yet. 

Yea vs is more geared tword the surf striper crowed made to be swam with.  Although I have read good things about the tsunami salt x sealed reels.  Maybe @hammer4reelcan comment on them.  I went with vs because I know them n since my wife n I started dating I talked about getting one.  When I got my promotion she came with me n told the bait shop guy if I pick up any thing but vs don't sell it to me n walked out lol

Edited by vdep217

6 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Yea vs is more geared tword the surf striper crowed made to be swam with.  Although I have read good things about the tsunami salt x sealed reels.  Maybe @hammer4reelcan comment on them.  I went with vs because I know them n since my wife n I started dating I talked about getting one.  When I got my promotion she came with me n told the bait shop guy if I pick up any thing but vs don't sell it to me n walked out lol

The van staal reels are supposedly the best surf reel out there. I do not surf fish at all. The van staal reels definitely are not designed to tuna fish, as they do not hold up to big tuna (found out first hand). I really enjoy trying all the products out there, but once one fails...on to another. I do not care for the shimano rods. Also, not a big fan of black hole (too stiff). I think best jigging rods are the Saltywater Tackle jigging rods. Once again, talking tuna. I really am narrow minded, as I striper and tuna fish only.

Just now, nmc02 said:

The van staal reels are supposedly the best surf reel out there. I do not surf fish at all. The van staal reels definitely are not designed to tuna fish, as they do not hold up to big tuna (found out first hand). I really enjoy trying all the products out there, but once one fails...on to another. I do not care for the shimano rods. Also, not a big fan of black hole (too stiff). I think best jigging rods are the Saltywater Tackle jigging rods. Once again, talking tuna. I really am narrow minded, as I striper and tuna fish only.

The only tuna jigging of done has been on a trevalla and only hooked a small blue fin

Just now, vdep217 said:

The only tuna jigging of done has been on a trevalla and only hooked a small blue fin

That is the only shimano rod I like. The trevala is a great jigging rod (the 1st I bought and still use w an avet 5/2 hx). I say it over and over, if you are looking for tuna....stay away from trolling. So many awesome boats at our fingertips. There is a small niche of center console guys catching 150 plus bluefin now on jigs and plugs here. Or, hit cape cod from Sept 10 - Oct 1. An experience you have to have once. There is a tremendous difference between yellowfin and bluefin....bluefin are far stronger.