IGNORED

Is the UBNJ going back to be anti crossbow?

toxo

Just got the UBNJ Tracks and Trails.John Erndl,the president of the UBNJ states,"We stood up against the 2 shot crossbow,"I think it was already illegal in the Regulations."  We are afraid of the new 500 fps crossbows touting 200-yard groups so as long as I'm on the council,I Will fight to keep bowhunting,bowhunting and not just the easiest way to kill deer. A line must be drawn somewhere.

Don't know that UBNJ was ever "anti crossbow". More like pro preservation of a bow only season. They lost the debate and accepted the change, and many members even use crossbows, so saying they are anti crossbow isn't really accurate.

I know most of UBNJ is not anti gun either, but in the same way, tries to preserve  a bow only season and separate from gun season. Hard to believe some people still don't understand that. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Yes in the beginning They were anti  crossbow but lost a fight and accepted it now many of the same guys that were against it are using them me myself I see no reason for two shot crossbow As far as speed goes no one or no one in their right mind would try to shoot an animal at 200 yards or over 60 yards for that matter with the 500 fps i’m shooting just a tad over 380 and keep all my shot under 40 yards.     200 yard shot it’s just not gonna happen 500 FPS.   I play with my bow all the time at 100 yards and can stick them all in a beer coaster but would never think of trying to kill an animal like that distant and I’ve been using a crossbow more than most on here and I haven’tNeeded a second shot so that two arrow thing just stupid 

Edited by smittty

I'm 76 and unable to hunt with a longbow or compound due to physical reasons i have been hunting with a crossbow three years now and have killed one deer in that time. I will not take a shot more than 30yds. Are you trying to deprive me from something i love to do even if it's only spending one or two hours in the woods

A disabled Vietnam Veteran

The original xbow rules allowed the disabled and people >50 to use them during archery seasons.  So the concocted ‘disabled issue’ was not an issue at the time of that debate over whether or not to allow everyone to use an xbow during archery seasons.

I was against xbows being considered equivalent to a bow because hitting a target with an xbow is more like shooting a long gun than using a bow.  I did not and still do not like the idea of someone qualifying with an xbow and then walking out into the woods with a real bow that they were wholly inept with.  Such a scenario will likely result in more wounded or not cleanly killed deer and seems excessively cruel to me - not fair chase at all.

I hunt with an xbow myself since multiple hand surgeries so I am not against xbows per se but I still do not consider them equivalent to a real bow.  I also shoot at the same range that I used to shoot my recurve (<15 yards) because a large part of the fun for has always being that close to an animal that absolutely does not enjoy human company and shooting it while relaxed.

2 hours ago, Droptine 26 said:

They have always been anti-crossbow. I was there as a hunters Ed instructor when F&w had the crossbow reps come out for a special meeting to show UBNJ the similarities. They were embarrassing.  Time marches on, wait until the PCP air guns that shoot arrows get introduced to the division, heads are really going to spin. 

I believe in a 2-1/2 month archery season no matter how fast or slow or type of bow even it it’s capable of holding two bolts with I don’t see the sense of that. And after the archery season weapons of choice included pistols. But I would also like to see a two buck limit six points or better and three doe state wide. 

1 hour ago, Shug said:

Read DV1s response it nails the UBNJs position.

Ill also add that they weren’t against handicapped people using a crossbow in the bow season either.

Glad to see it’s finally getting into peoples mailboxes

Thank you for taking over as Editor! I agree,they are NOT bows but it is better to have a guy in the woods that can shoot a crossbow accurately,"which is easy" then to have them flinging arrows all over the woods with a bow he or she can't shoot. :up:

Edited by toxo

Here's some history!

There was this guy that once had a bow shop/ indoor archery range I frequented a lot. Sad one day he closes doors. Best instinctive recurve bow shooter I've ever seen. At the time crossbow hunting was not legal in any state, but this man had a vision. One day I walked into the bullet hole in Belleville apparently this visionary struck a deal with the owner Manny to sell crossbows.Ugg I thought. That's not bow hunting!. Well at the time I was in my prime, fast forward 30 years later a crossbow is all I use. Hope you see this my old friend, you legend, my mentor, thank you for the old and new memories:up:

http://www.ubnj.org/hof.html

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt