IGNORED

How Far Is Tooo Far?

Fred Flintstone

Decades ago,I read an article in " Turkey + Turkey Hunting" in which the Author wrote not to Shoot an incoming Gobbler- until you can Clearly see his eyes. That would put the Tom at Roughly 30 yards. That made sense at the time. Later on,I took a few out to 45 yards. Much too far for me.

Now today with TSS Shot,Longbeard Ammo, scopes, Chokes designed not to open the shot pattern until well downrange or Fieldrange,I read of 55 Yard Field Shots,60 Yard+ Field Shots at a Gobbler. Who really knows how many of these Gobblers Nationwide are able to make it out of the Field after getting Shot- only to Die Later on.

In 2019,I had a Gobbler fly down and land a good 50 yards out and strut right there. I let him go- just too far. Even with the Comp- N- Choke. 

Almost seems like the old Skills of Woodsmanship and good Calling skills are less needed today . 

I remember  3 Decades back+,I had to Learn how to Roll my Foot over Small Branches on the Forest Floor. If one was ready to Snap,I would roll back and step Lightly elsewhere. That one skill took time to Learn- but the Newer Turkey Hunters probably  won't  learn it.

I guess,I am old Fashioned . 33rd Spring coming up and still looking for that 35 yard Max Shot. 

To each their own for sure when it is time to pull the Trigger. 

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

Great topic! I love those close in shots, but if I have been trying to nail a specific bird all season, I will pull the trigger over 55 yards and here he is! I hunted this beggar for a least 10 days. LongBeards 3 1/2 5 shot with a Carlson choke nailed him down at 57 yards. 

76B6DAE1-103B-487B-9385-F25A852C5A92.jpeg

Edited by Batsto

3 hours ago, Batsto said:

Great topic! I love those close in shots, but if I have been trying to nail a specific bird all season, I will pull the trigger over 55 yards and here he is! I hunted this beggar for a least 10 days. LongBeards 3 1/2 5 shot with a Carlson choke nailed him down at 57 yards. 

76B6DAE1-103B-487B-9385-F25A852C5A92.jpeg

Hell of a Nice Gobbler!

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I'll be using a Browning 12 gauge pump, a Carlson turkey load choke, and Winchester XR Turkey Load No. 5 shot. Good pattern at 40 yards, I've tried several different types, but the winchester works best for me.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

21 minutes ago, hostak126 said:

I'll be using a Browning 12 gauge pump, a Carlson turkey load choke, and Winchester XR Turkey Load No. 5 shot. Good pattern at 40 yards, I've tried several different types, but the winchester works best for me.

Those XR loads #5 and that Carlson Turkey Choke  are a great match!!

For me personally, part of turkey hunting is the fun of getting them to come in close and just watch them (before you shoot them in the face;)). I patterned my gun out to 40 yards yesterday, but I doubt I will shoot that far. I want to get them to at least 30 yards if not closer. I also like to watch them if I can for a little bit - watching them strut and do their thing is just as satisfying as taking one home. I shot a couple last year as soon as they showed up and never got into strut, and I can remember feeling kinda bummed because it went so quick and I never got to just watch for a little bit. But this one was different - this is what I like to do. I waited for him to come close and I watched him for like 20 minutes (before I shot him :) )

Warning - do not expect to see a kill shot at the end of this video - I had to put the phone down before I could aim and shoot. You just get to watch a Tom turkey strut and mount two hen decoys for 20 minutes :D ) 

Decoy is always put at 20 yards. If it's not at the decoy or darn near to it, I'm usually hanging on and enjoying the show. My choke/shell can confidently drop them in their tracks out to 50+ but I have only chosen to shoot one bird beyond 50 (56 paces to be exact). He wouldn't budge after almost a two hour game of cat and mouse; it wasn't a Hail Mary shot out of desperation like some do at those distances because they think they shoot fancy chokes and shells. It was a lot of range time that made my choice to shoot justifiable to me. 

BTW - not the bird on the decoy here -- lol he's at 20. My buddy and I ended up doubling this day. Icing on the cake for his first turkey hunt.

View recent photos.png

• 3 weeks later...

Even with the best shotgun & most modern turkey loads, 50 yards is probably the furthest you should be shooting, if you want to be ethical. 200 yards if you're hunting somewhere that you can use a rifle.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook. :cook: