IGNORED

Pa ice fishing.....

nmc02

3 hours ago, 308federal said:

Good-looking fish. The trout in our lake are emaciated looking. Fishing slow with about 15-16 inches of ice. Couple of tiny perch jigging.

If you’re concerned about the trout, try  stocking fatheads and freshwater scuds. Both will provide year round food for the trout in a lake or pond.  That’s what we do for our pond clients. 

4 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I spent the weekend at my pa cabin. Cold! It was nice to get away, but fishing was painfully slow. There were three groups on the lake....each caught a single trout. We fished 9 am to 4 pm and had 3 bites, caught 1 trout. 

20220205_103010.jpg

So it wasn’t just us yesterday. Everyone I know that ice fished yesterday had a slow day. 

3 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

If you’re concerned about the trout, try  stocking fatheads and freshwater scuds. Both will provide year round food for the trout in a lake or pond.  That’s what we do for our pond clients. 

Thanks for the tip. I think we stock a hundred pounds? of fatheads around the fall. The lake is 15/16 acres, so the fatheads are like a drop in the bucket. We have bass, pickerel, perch, sunnies and stocked trout.

2 minutes ago, 308federal said:

Thanks for the tip. I think we stock a hundred pounds? of fatheads around the fall. The lake is 15/16 acres, so the fatheads are like a drop in the bucket. We have bass, pickerel, perch, sunnies and stocked trout.

You want to start at 10 pounds/acre, so at least 150 lbs. But you’re not too far off at 100 lbs.  If they are skinny now, toss in 200 lbs. But try scuds this spring. I’ll find a link to our supplier and PM you. I like to inoculate new ponds with scuds once we get the biology established for life. They are available all year to the trout as food.